Lights wont switch off

Hi

My 9000 CS LPT US model 95 has developed a strange problem:

Approximately every other time I switch the ignition off, the low beams don't turn off. If I then attempt to turn them off manually with the light switch, they still don't go off.

However, if I operate the low-high-beam switch once, they go off.

Has anyone experienced something similar, and does anyone know a solution to the problem?

Regards

Flemming Denmark

Reply to
Flemming

I had this on my '86 9000 a while back, If I remember correctly it was the column switch for the beams. I replaced it with one from a boneyard and all was well.

I diagnosed it with a voltmeter and a good wiring diagram and concluded that the column switch was bad. My brain is fuzzy on this one since it was probably 10 or so years ago that I fixed this one.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Bad earth (chassis) wire problem.

I once had the low-beam operation when braking. That was traced to an earth wire. Today, the sprinkler was going constantly while running the wipers, hence the water reservoir emptied fast. It was raining so I needed the wipers, I then unplugged the fuse for the headlamp washers, it seemed to fix it, but not really a long term solution.

Reply to
Johannes

It could involve a switch or ground fault but the first thing I would check is the headlight relay; the large red double one. The next time the lights don't go out open the relay box and give the relay a rap with a screw diver handle or some such. If the lights go out it is definitly the relay. If not. it still could be the relay but you would have to test by substitution.

Good hunting.

Reply to
R. Frist

Hi, R. Frist,

Thank a lot. That was exactly it :-) A small tap with my keyring on the relay did the trick.

Regards

Flemming

"R. Frist" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Flemming

This happened on my first C900 (front light low beams only), and on my second one, the relay had been replaced by the last owner.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2