MPG Figures for various Sabb Models

Hello all, I'm looking into buying an old Saab 9000 and wondered if anybody knew where I might find mpg figures from. I was looking at a 1991 Saab 9000

2Litre Injection and a 1995 9000 CDE 2L. Has anybody got any ideas. Saab's pages are obviously up to date so there's no info on the old models.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
John Whitmore

Fuel consumption depends on many factors, such that individual reports have limited value. However, the lpt engine is more efficient than the injection (non-turbo) engine. But in general, the ECU makes the engine quite efficient. I get between 30 and 40 mpg (UK) for my 1993 9000 CSE

2.0 lpt for a mixture of rural and distance driving. Hence, consumption is good for the size and power of car, you won't find much better unless you choose a diesel of one of the modern Variable Valve Timing engines.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

"John Whitmore" wrote in news:cvaie9$cbj$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

Go to Used Cars, then Saabs, then the year and model. Somewhere there will be a link to specifications. It's usually in there. Also try
They have a lot of info for the older model years. I had a 1995 9000 LPT. Got 32mpg (US gallons) all Interstate using premium and about 25mpg around town running on midgrade.

Reply to
Laura K

To increase what mileage you do get, John, look into whether the car you get has had its *oxygen sensor* changed lately too...

Reply to
Valjean

For what it's worth my 93 9000CSET with 165k mi. 5-spd gets ~US21mpg city,

32mpg hiway in the NYC vicinity. Haven't checked since I got a new clutch. The hatchback is way more convenient than the trunk.
Reply to
Dan RatherNot

The MPG meter on my k-reg 9000 CDE 2L indicates 33 MPG (UK) I do a mix of motorway and country driving and drive steadily. When I bought this car the MPG meter was indicating 29MPG, so either the previous owner drove less steadily than me, or on worse roads.

Mike

Reply to
Mr Mike Nospam

Speed matters a lot, too. In my 1996 9000 Aero, 65mph easily get 33mpg(US), and at 75mph it drops to 30mpg.

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

At the risk of sounding boring again........

Do you mean UK mpg figures ( I guess you do since you're on btinternet and thus from the UK ) or US mpg figures ?

If you're unfamiliar with the difference - a US gallon is smaller - 0.8 UK gallons in fact - sorry that's 8/10ths US gallons for US readers ;-)

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a *standard* ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Depends *awfully* on your driving.

I get around 32 UK mpg from my '93 9000 2.0 cse lpt. That's minimal short journeys ( classic source of poor mpg ) and mainly 'A road' driving at modest but occasionally when possible 'enthusiastic' speeds..

Put your foot down on the motorway seriously and the gauge drops alarmlingly.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Since you mention the alternatives, and I also have a '93 9000 CSE 2.0 lpt , I'll comment that my former ancient Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0 CD with Bosch Motronic ECU ( but *no cat* ) delivered about 10% better fuel economy and startlingly sharper accelelation.

It weighed a lot less too. That probably plays a large part. The absence of a cat is most likely up to 5% of the difference as well.

Both cars fall into the nice to drive category. Both also have great seats - something that is *so important* for relaxed and confident driving. I currently

*love* the Saab's heated seats though. There was actually a switch position on the Cavalier for heated seats too - but I guess it was a purely Scandinavian option.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

For John's benefit.....

US premium = UK 'super unleaded' like Shell Optimax.

US midgrade = UK 'premium' - the normal stuff you buy at the supermarket filling station.

US and UK octane rating methods differ too - I've already recently been here.

Even more confusing !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Is that the 'lambda sensor' so-called ?

Pls tell more.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I think you got it there.

Driving 'steadily' without harsh accelaration or braking ensures the best mpg you're ever likely to achieve. I do this myself when traffic is medium to heavy and I know I can't pass. When passing opportunities exist - then I like to 'press on'. :-) The low end torque of the turbo'd Saab 4 cyl engine does this so nicely in surprisingly high gears !

Your figure closely matches my 2.0 lpt of roughly the same age.

Basically, for a large, quality executive spec car, the mpg is exceptionally good !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I knew I had to replace my old car about a year ago and decided it was time to at last pursue my long held passion for a 9000.

I found an Aero on Ebay that I fancied and 'lost it' by a mere £22 - at the very last second. Spoke to the owner and it sounded like a really 'genuine' car with 'no expense spared maintenance' owned by an enthusiast too with several other Saabs !

I can barely believe how you can manage to keep an Aero to 75 mph ! I go faster than that sometimes on windy UK country roads !

Oh - btw - there are many Saab sites - but unless you already know about it - you should take a look at Saab9000.com

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Too late. You're starting to sound like a nationalistic troll at this point. Do you talk about anything _other than_ this?

As Gary pointed out, we do. You changed yours. Deal with it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Good question - it is tough :-). +I use my cruise control to keep myself in check. Speed limits are ridiculously low here on the west coast of the US, police traps are common, and fines are high. Even 75 mph can get you a $200 fine easily, even on an interstate freeway. Besides, people have a nasty habit of never moving over to the right - as a matter of fact, rightmost lane is frequently the fastest lane - and that is where the 65mph figures come from :-).

I have taken the car up there in >100mph range for sure, but then I watch my Valentine One radar detector carefully. It kept me out of trouble for the last few years, and let me have fun when I want to.

-Dima

Reply to
Dima

I had an '89 9000i (old shape) and got quite impressive fuel consumption of

35mpg, also acceleration was quite spritely as the early cars were lighter (and of course cat-less..)

For a big car I found them good drivers too - outrunning and outhandling a demented VW Sirocco on some twisty-bits...OK maybe thats nothing to brag about....:-)

Reply to
chris