New key & program keyless entry

I recently bought a 2001 Saab 9-3 that only came with one key. Wanting a spare, I purchased a keyless entry remote+key off of Ebay. I had hoped that my local Saab dealer could replace the key integrated into the remote and program the keyless entry module, but they basically told me that I got screwed - they only sell the entire unit. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Rob

2001 9-3
Reply to
caffeine

your dealer is hosing you

I've twice replaced the key for my 9-5 from one on ebay. The 9-5 key comes in three parts and they can be ordered separately.

For the 2001 9-3 the part numbers are:

transmitter: 52 65 335 key blank: 51 83 025 cover: 51 84 114

(these are the US part numbers, if you're not in the US they are different)

you need the key blank, your transmitter and cover will work in this one.

Also, you can order a pre-cut key (differetn part number) or a blank (above part number) that can be cut at the dealer.

Once you get the key cut then you have to have the car programmed to accept the key and work with the transmitter, which is a service call.

Reply to
Bill Jackson

Reply to
Radovan Biciste

Perhaps different Saab dealers have different capabilities? I am in the states and my dealer mentioned having to send the VIN number to Sweden for them to make the key and mail it back.

Do you mind posting the number of your local dealer so I might ask them some questions?

Reply to
rob pazdan