Oil/fluid drips after 45k service 900S

This is a request to experienced folks for tips or advice ...

I have a 1995 900S manual that I just had a 45K service done on. Badly, as it turns out, several problems have surfaced since.

One in particular worries me - a few drops of oil/fluid below the engine after driving for 15+ minutes. It seems to drip from the big hemispherical thing (crankcase?) from which the drive axles emerge.

Any suggestions whatsoever would be most appreciated. Can I determine what kind of fluid it is? Could it be overfilling/undertightening given that it only happened after the 45k service? None of the fluid dipsticks are showing any obvious drops (yet).

Thanks very much for any guesses or things to do next

Vaidy Sunderam

Reply to
Vaidy Sunderam

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mathcs.emory.edu spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Could be spillage rather than leakage, that hasn't been cleaned up properly, if levals are showing a drop.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

oops, that should be "...if levels aren't showing a drop..."

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Could it be unrelated to the service? My 95 900S manual developed a leaking (actually torn) rear engine seal a couple years ago at about 100K miles. It dripped a bit of engine oil, unfortunately it was directly on the exhaust pipe. Didn't notice it unless the car was driven hard for a while -- like for the the 30 miles from my house to the I70 tunnel at 11,500 ft. here in Colorado. Replaced it (and the clutch which was still good) and it's fine now at 157,000 miles. I understand that these failures are not as uncommon as they should be and the seal has been redesigned. The other posibility is a bad front transmission seal. Smell the oil, it should give you a clue as to the source.

Good Luck. I wish my car still had just 45k on it!

Jack

Reply to
Jack F

Sadly I've had drips on mine about every other service (94 900S V6). The techs refuse to torque the engine oil drain plug to spec and/or use a new washer. Check your owners manual if you determine it's engine oil...it has the drain plug torqueing specs.

NWW

Reply to
N Williamson