It Drips! It Drips!

I did my very first valve adjustment today and have the bandaids on my fingers to prove it. Pretty proud of myself.

While I was at it, I replaced both valve covers and bails, this due to a persistent oil drip-drip-drip from the left valve cover. Last time I did this, trying to solve the same problem, I just used a new gasket. Didn't do any good. This time, the Wonderbus got new gaskets (w/ gasket compound between gasket and cover), new steel covers and nice pretty new bails.

Drip remains. And no, I am not talking about myself.

Other than welding the cover to the head, what else might I try?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

jimt

I've had uneven luck with the rubber gaskets. Only the cork gaskets work perfectly (for me). I cleaned the mating surfaces perfectly and use a little cement (very little) only on the valve cover - to hold the cork in while I install the cover. Then wetted the engine side with a little oil. No drips.

BUT - and this is important, oil leaks can run a path other than straight down. Are you SURE the leak isn't coming from under the tin, possibly from the oil cooler inside? Oil cooler leaks are often disasterous, but if you are 'lucky' enough to have a weeping seal, then it might drip out the left like that.

Reply to
jjs

Maybe it's the pushrod tube seals, and not the valve cover. The oil leaks from teh seals and runs down the head and drops off at the same spot where a cover leak would occur.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Bentleys says that on dual-carb engines the pushrod covers can be removed without removing the engine or the heads. The thought just boggles my mind since there is this steel pushrod running up the middle of the pushrod cover. If you don't remove the head, how do you get the cover off? Pull the rocker assembly then slide the pushrods out?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be pulling the engine in a couple weeks and I'll check that.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I think that is true of the type-4 motor. But not the type-1.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

yep, type 4's have pushrod tubes that slide out thru the head just like the pushrod. just did this about a month ago when i tore a t-4 down.

Reply to
bob

Reply to
jimt

I'll bet it is just marking its territory... :)

Tim

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Reply to
The Guy

Bentleys refers to the 1700 engine as the "dual carb" engine. 1600 is the single carb one. It is the dual carb, or 1700, engine that they say the pushrod covers can be removed without removing the heads. The 1700 engine is not the Type 4 engine, is it?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Yep. Stock type-1s were never larger than 1600.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

yes it is.... 1700/1800/2000 -> type 4.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

It's surely not as easy as that, is it? What's the catch? Springs that hurl themselves across the room?

What's the trick to getting the old one out? Crush it then pry the bits out?

This makes sense. I see that Aircooled sells "Regular" or "Big Mouth" versions (P/N EGS0005). They don't explain the difference. Anyone have a quickie explanation?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Braukuche

Oh ho. So then if my engine is a new 1776 Brazilian block, is it Type 1 or Type 4?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thanks! Good advice!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

In article , "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel

If the tin is upright, like the Bug's, then it's a T1. Never heard of a stock 1776 T1 or a stock T4 with upright tin. Mikey - you need a manual!

Reply to
jjs

I have Bentleys for the bus, as mentioned in my original post. I was trying to get some clarification on removal of pushrod cover tubes.

Bentleys mentions three engine types for the bus: single-carb (1600), dual carb (1700+) and fuel-injection. Near as I can tell, the nomenclatures "Type 1, Type 4" do not appear in the Engine section.

So, moving on. My bus has a new upright tin engine. The sales slip that came with the bus says "1776." The engine looks exactly like a bug engine, and it has a doghouse cooler. That makes it a Type 1, no?

But what about the single vs. dual carb issue?

Bentleys says that on "dual-carb (1700+)" engines the pushrod covers can be removed without removing the engine or the heads, but on "single-carb (1600)" engines the heads must be pulled to do this.

So, what kind of engine to I have? What they call a "single carb" (1600) engine that has been revised to 1776cc, and therefore requires the head to be pulled? Or a "dual carb" (1700+) engine that can have the pushrod covers replaced without removing the heads.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote

Mike, the Bentley is referring to stock engines. Your 1776 is not stock. It is a type 1 engine that has been fitted with larger cylinders and pistons, increasing the displacement. I don't believe any type 1 engines ever came with dual carbs. On a type 1 engine, you cannot replace the pushrod tubes with stock type tubes without pulling the head. There are replacement, spring-loaded tubes (like jimt mentioned in his post) that you can install without pulling the head.

Reply to
Scott H