oil pump? '91 900 non turbo

Hi guys, We have had this car (Germany) only 3 months and it has been great. Last night, just as we got off the highway the oil light went on. The car ran fine, so I hoped it was just a bad sensor. We took a chance to drive far enough to find a bed. The next morning I started it up and the valves were making noise, so we are having the car sent to our mechanic. The dipstick shows full. Questions:

  1. Isn't it pretty unusual to have the oil pump go? (130,000miles)
  2. I just had the valve cover gasket replaced. It doesn't leak, but I see a LOT of sealant. If the mechanic were a little too free with the glue, could he have messed things up? I drove about 250 miles after the job with no trouble. thanks for any advice... Robobass
Reply to
robanzellotti

Robo,

I'm with you. Very unusual for an oil pump to fail.

Sure, he could have gummed things up, but I would guess that you might have a little sludge build-up or particulates on the oil sump pick-up screen. I'd imagine they should be able to sort it out pretty quickly.

Reply to
Fred W

Reply to
robanzellotti