Opinions welcome 1994 900V6 with an automatic

Anyone have opinions of a 1994 900 V6 with an automatic transmission?

Yes, I drive Classics with manual transmission, but this is for someone else, who does not drive manual transmission. This is car is a four door with 94K miles. This car will be the first car for a teenage driver, so long engine life is not an issue. The other choice is a 1992 red box 2 door turbo 900 with a manual - I don't want this car trashed by someone learning to shift and drive at the same time.

Reply to
ma_twain

Heh :) yes, a few months ago I bought a very cheap '91 900S w/ 180k miles to learn to drive manual (all my help requests on this forum have been about that car); the plan was to buy something like a '97 900SE Turbo when the learning phase is over, but of course now I just love my c900. I may get something like that '92 900Turbo instead :)

I own a 4-door '95 900SE/V6 with 86k miles. Unfortunately, I have not owned it very long (approx half a year now), but I have to say that I love this car. It helps that it is a very good-looking car (red & black) and in like-new exterior & interior condition. I do like the lag & punch of the 4cyl turbo, but for off-the-line and driving around town (which is 90% of what I do) the V6 is very nice. I have had 0 problems in the short time I have owned it. It runs beautifully and everything works perfectly (knock on wood). It was exceptionally maintained, however (and that's mostly why I decided to buy it).

I generally leave it in "sport" mode. Normal shift mode shifts up way to prematurely for my taste (around the time the "shift up" light comes on, in my c900). Realistically if you kick down the pedal the V6 really moves, not quite the post-lag turbo, but pretty close. I like the traction control (TCS) feature for eliminating spin on slippery starts, although I should add that I disabled it sometimes when driving in snow because I found a little spin preferrable to having the feeling of suddenly losing power (e.g. at an intersection) -- and "Winter" mode helps a great deal for reducing chances of spin, anyway. Gas mileage is great (around 30mpg on highway, around 21 in city), but I think that's around the same for both engines.

In short, I like it :) If I had found a turbo in comparable condition, I would have probably gotten it instead, but no regrets. Of course now that I'm driving manual, I wish I had a manual in both cars, but completely agree that it makes more sense to handle one thing at a time.

Hans

Reply to
Hans Lellelid

With the proviso that it depends on condition and service history as regards the V6 mill - I still wouldn't put a novice in the V6 or turbo

900. I'd keep looking for a $1,000 throw away mid-late 80's 900 S or I model with a five speed, no turbo, no red box and let the learner learn what needs to be learned.

It's an investment that really will pay off in the long term - and a cheap one at the price.

While it is likely to not have an airbag - the old 900's are a *real* lifesaver for young adults learning the ropes (myself included once or twice) and it is good to learn the seatbelt habit early. Pick up a set of swish red SAAB labled chest cushion sleeves for the belts to encourage them and all their pals to use them. :/ ..

Anyway the V6 is fast enough to get anyone you love into trouble (auto or not) in a hurry and I am selling with my current 94 900 as it is not as nearly as hearty as my old 900(s) or my 9000 were (another important consideration for kids - they like back rough roads if they can find them).

While lighter built, the 94 900 is thusly also a more twitchy handler unless you offset the toe out a little bit on the front and put in heavier shocks in the rear.

In stock form, this sporty characteristic is very nice if you are not alarmed by your wheel responding too precisely to input - but - a real surprise to folks who are new to really quick handling machines at

120kph/75mph and I think it is unrealistic to assume that anyone with a new car follows the letter of the law.

Nope - one of the great things about an mid 80's 3 door non-turbo model is that it has all the sports pizzazz and cheap, ready parts a kid needs - with a really deep crumple zone all round - and is a *very* predictable handler in almost all conditions. If the muffler is going - it sounds faster than it really is too. I remember the cargo room as being better and a five speed is worth learning early - if you can replace the clutch easily - which is an afternoon job in the driveway and a couple of hundred bucks on the old 900.

There were several really reasonable examples for sale on saabnet.com last time I looked.

My 1.4 cents.. Cheers and best wishes.

Reply to
Dexter J

The deal with the V6 is the 30kmi timing belt change and the more forward weight bias. I am assuming that the CO has not yet changed it for the 90kmi renewal and that it is on borrowed time. If you change it now, you should get 30kmi out of it assuming it makes no untoward noises or smoke...

I had a soul-less '96 900SE Turbo 5sp and sold it after a year. I have owned a succession of '92 900 Turbos and am much happier for it.

$0.02

KeithG

ma_twa> Anyone have opinions of a 1994 900 V6 with an automatic transmission? >

Reply to
KeithG

If I was looking for an automatic, I'd buy a V6. I don't think turbo lag gets along with an automatic transmission. When it's time to pull out across traffic, you need a little get up and go. With an automatic matched to a turbo, you can't get it. A new driver needs a margin of error and I think that means V6.

That said, I would not buy a Saab for a new driver. Don't get me wrong, I love my Saab and my turbo. My Saab does wonderful things under my control. But, I'm an experienced driver. Also, the NG series has some blind spots that will infringe on a new driver. For a new driver, I'd buy something that reacts a little faster at low speeds, where the driver is a little more on contact with the road, and where visibility is top notch.. I'd suggest a Nissan Maxima. Perfect visibility, plenty of power, forgiving, not isolating, reliable.

My .02,

Reply to
-Bob-

Thanks for all of the advice. The one thing going for the V6 is the body style - it is a four door hatchback. As for the blind spots, I will drive it to see if it is any worse than a Camry or Accord. I drove a Maxima with a manual transmission awhile back. I may have to revisit it. I did not like the sluggish steering and handling.

As for the 1992 red box turbo, I can get a black box ECU. This should reduce the power somewhat. I am curently driving a 1993 900 turbo SPG with a red box and it certainly has too much power for a beginning driver.

I forgot to add > Anyone have opinions of a 1994 900 V6 with an automatic transmission? >

Reply to
ma_twain

I am wondering - is it that hard to find a 94/95 NG900 S model (non-turbo)

2.3 in the DC area - or is a 6 banger a requirement given application? The s model NG900 is identical in every way - except the hoopy engine.
Reply to
Dexter J

Good point - I will see what is out there. The only problem is finding a "previously owned"

car with a maintenance history. The 1994 900SE V6 and the 1992 900 Turbo have a documented maintenance history - plus I am dealing with the trusted technician who worked on the cars.

Just one question - when did Saab start using a cable clutch for the NG manual transmissons?

Reply to
ma_twain

I'm in the DC area too -- and was just going to suggest looking at the cars at S&S Auto Sales. I assume you're probably familiar with this place on 29 in VA, but figured I'd mention it "just in case".

They don't have any 94-98 900S models, but they do have a couple base c900 models. I wouldn't say prices are great, but from what I hear it's a good shop (and most of there cars have some sort of limited warranty)

-- and perhaps there's some room for negotiation in those prices.

I'd think that the c900 would be a great car to learn on. It would have served me well; in this area a car with too little power is just really dangerous (I learned to drive on a 93hp Hyundai Scoupe which was just downright scary at times). A c900 n/a 5sp would have served me very well as a first car. But I think I recall that you own a c900, so I suppose I'm preaching to the choir. :)

Hans

Reply to
Hans Lellelid

First couple of years of production - then back to hydraulic. I have a 94 S model myself for another couple of weeks and, of all things, the wire clutch is the least worrying. Keep it lubed and it's fine - better than an unmaintained oil assist system in my books given that repair is *just* a new cable.

At this vintage you aren't so much looking for a 'maintenance history' so much as what has been done 'recently' as they are all at that 8-10 year point where several things are done, or are going to need to be done shortly.

This isn't all that bad if you find one where the stuff that needs doing is done. Here's a pretty good site on actually keeping a NG900 after the all GM/Not a 9000/Not a real SAAB hu-ha.

Dexter J

FInd a Maxima SE. The SE version has a firmer suspension and handles rather well at normal driving speeds. Standard tranny Maxima's are actually somewhat unusual - automatics are much more common. I'd s suggest something around a 1998 if that's in your price range.

Reply to
-Bob-

Actually, average visibility in the convertible is excellent. Of course, average includes the time you have the top down with 100% visibility averaged with the time you have the top up with 35% visibility.

I agree with your conclusions... I would never, ever give a new driver a Saab (or probably any other) convertible.

Reply to
-Bob-

Reply to
ma_twain

Actually, not just the first few years. From '93 to '97 they used the cable clutch. In '98 they changed back to hydraulic. ('94 is the NG900 start year for convertibles).

Reply to
-Bob-

Yes, but very few Maximas SE's are standard. It's a nice car for an automatic though since the Nissan DOHC V6 has gobs of low end torque.

Reply to
-Bob-

Thought all the Maxima stickshifts were the SE models? (or at least 99% of the standard shift ones are)

-Bob- wrote:

Reply to
Max

I bought the 1994 900 SE V6 today. The last ride in on the 1990 900S was fun, but sad in a way. But I still have the 1993 900 SPG :-)

Just one question - I seem to get more air flow from the fan and AC in the Classic 900 than in the 1994 900 SE. For those who have owned both, is there a problem with fan or vent system on the 1994 900 if the air flow is less than the Classic 900?

Reply to
ma_twain

Congrats on the purchase! What I have noticed is that the airflow on the 900ng tends to favor a "stealth" ditribution system -- specifically, I think it uses the floor vents before switching to the mid-level vents. When I want to feel the air I tend to take it off 'Auto' mode, raise the fan speed, and specify which vents to use (note that to select multiple vents you just push the buttons at the same time; that may/may not be obvious). If you've done that & still aren't happy with it then maybe there is a problem (?) I'm not the best judge at comparing the air flow to the c900, though, because my c900 has no a/c -- so air flow is from open windows & sunroof :)

Hans

Reply to
Hans L

The ventillation system in the NG900 is one the areas that was improved in later years ('98 if I'm not mistaken).

BL

Reply to
BL

Thanks for the information! I am taking back to the shop for "free" maintenance work (90 days). Some of the lights in the dash are out and the cruise control does not work. Perhaps you could answer another question. In the dark, only the Park indicator lights up, when the car is in Reverse or Drive, there are no light on the dash or on the shifter. Is this by design or are more light bulbs needing replacement?

Reply to
ma_twain