Re: Infant car seat problems....

I have a 92 saab 900s and my seats belts are not too short for the several diffents infant seats ive had for my grandson. Are you sure you are installing the seat correctly. They can be confusing to install. If you have more trouble go to the dealer direct. They will show you how to install the seat. or go to you nearest police station and ask for help they will gladly help you. If you seat eblts can fit around a person they can certainly fit around the infant seat. good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

The Classic 900 is different from the NG900s in many ways. I have both, so I can measure the seatbelts for a comparison and get back. I will get back with this information. I assume you are putting the infant car seat in the middle and not on either side of the rear seat. Read the directions on the box, instruction manual and car seat. Congratulations with the new future family member! Enjoy him/her while they are young, as they get older they go through phases. My oldest is going to be learning to drive in a a 1994 900SE this year - it has been a challenging 15+ years to get to this point. . .

You are correct in that a police or fire station can show you the proper way to install an infant car seat. Infant car seats should be facing backwards and absolutely never be used in the front seat with airbags. Airbags have killed children and infants in the front seat. The secret to installing the infant car seat correctly is to have no movement at all after you have buckled the seatbelt. The only way I could do this was to kneel on the infant car seat with all of my weight to compress the foam in the vehicle car seat. I had to shorten the seat belt considerably to achieve this fit, so I believe you have enough seat belt in the NG900, you just need to put more pressure on the infant car seat when you install it.

Reply to
ma_twain

I measured the middle seatbelt in a 1994 900. I could get the buckle outside of the car! The belt was 93 inches long. This should be long enough to buckle any infant car seat. If you pull too hard, the inertial catch mechanism will lock the belt before it comes all the way out, perhaps this is why the OP thought the seat belt was too short.

Reply to
ma_twain

That is absoulutly correct you must put your knee on the infant seat cushion and push with all your weight while getting as many clicks as you can from your car seat belt. When your tight enough the seat will be rock solid and there should be no movementat all. good luck and many happy times with the new addition. papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

I have the same problem with our car seat (1999 9-3) and the dealer quoted over 100 EURO for a seat belt extension that elongates the belt by about 6-8 inches. I didn't get it as we carry the baby in my wifes Megane all the time and when he 9kg weight we will be changing the carseat to a different one that will fit in my car.

Reply to
Templenoe

I've had three different child seats in my 2000 9-3 (for various sized children) and not had any problems. The seats are :-

Britax Rock-a-tot (Rear facing) Britax Renaissance Maxi-Cosi Rodi XP

The smallest seat (Rock-a-tot) is the one that needs the longest belt since it's rear-facing, so the belt has to go right out to the back of the front seat. It *just* reaches. The other two leave plenty of length to spare. I've not tried any of them in the middle seat

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp