Replaced my DI cassette. Now getting misfire on 4... Help!

But even this might not clear the ECU diagnostics (if this is the problem). The important thing to look for is whether the problem gets better or worse after several starts, as the ECU gradually returns to normal.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Cor blimey guvnor! bit posh aint'cha? Old bean he says!

Seriously, I was taking the Mick. Hence the emoticon, I just find it a bit odd sometimes when people write in the same manner they would speak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm from good old Blighty, and I certainly don't have a great grasp of written English! After all I never used to be able to spell Engineer, now I is one.....

Regarding +ve/-ve order, sorry but I cannot agree on the low voltage not causing you any harm. Given the right conditions you can actually get a nasty jump off a good battery, and yes, even a burn. It is after all the amps that get you. I also forgot to mention possible petrol ignition from the ensuing spark.

Anyway it's academic really as you were of course only questioning the "only" bit of the statement.

Cheers

Al

Reply to
Al

Ditto.

Ditto ditto.

Amps yes, but if you're an injuneer (as I am), you'll already know that you don't get many amps without either lots of volts or little resistance. In this case we have neither; Low volts (12) and lots of resistance (skin). In fact, you won't even be able to draw a spark so no gas vapor explosion either. All of this is true *until* you lower the resistance of the contacts somehow...

Right, you are...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

In the UK, unlike Germany, the term 'engineer' is often misused by the likes of gas fitters, washing machine mechanics, etc. We end up with so called engineers and professional engineers. The latter being a rarer group.

Reply to
John Hudson

[...]

This is very true. However, people in UK know the difference. It is not a debasement of the engineering profession; rather they are trying to be polite. It is almost the same phenomenon as in other contexts, when the same word is used for different meanings. E.g. 'Doctor' is commonly used for someone with a medical qualification, not necessarily an PhD or an MD.

Reply to
Johannes

Yup, I am a Civil Engineer, I'm not chartered due to kids/work lack of application, but I am an experienced Member (Graduate) of The Institution of Civil Engineers.

There are some members who seem to get quite upset over television engineers and photocopier engineers. Others are quite content and don't let it get them down. As far as I'm concerned anyone who can design, build or fix something technical is an engineer even without the relevant paperwork/certificate.

As one of my clients once said, " I don't need an engineer with certificates, I need one who knows how to fix the Landrover in the middle of the dessert with only a teaspoon and a piece of string"

When I talked about the right conditions somewhere above, I was referring to a damp/sweaty oily set of arms/fingers/wrenches etc coming into contact with the wrong bits. Thus your resistance is lowered.

However, being a Civil Engineer I am more knowledgeable on Concrete (which also burns!) and steel than electrical circuits. Although I do have some rudimentary knowledge.

As stated earlier, it's academic but hey at least we're all talking.

Al

Reply to
Al

My title is "Unix systems architect", says so on the business card and my job description. I had one particular person who was a building-architect go ballistic, literally red in the face and jumping up and down, that "that's not a real architect and yadda yadda yadda". Being the person of ultimate tact and diplomacy that you all know me to be, I suggested that words evolve and that he should get over it.

Hate it when my vehicle breaks in the middle of dessert. At least it waited until the main course was over.

So standing on a sponge soaked in salt water is a bad practice then? Who knew?!?!?!?

My lips haven't moved a bit, actually...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Should have asked him to draw up a Unix System for you then, Dave.

Make mine pie, thanks.

Is this before or after pie? Mmmmm, pie... I thought the sponge was outlawed?

Mine always do when I type. Bad habit, I suppose.

So, my take-aways are to never touch a car battery before (or is it after) having pie or if on the sponge. ;-)

-Fred W Ya know, I learn something new every day...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Yup. It's more the how many boxes where talk how to other boxes doing what, but yes.

It's back, actually. Was on the new couple weeks ago.

Gotta have some of those, after all...

There's a joke to be made with the words "pie" and "sponge", but damned if I'm gonna be the one to do it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Always had trouble with those single leter/double lettter words...

can we post stuf about SAB again now?

All

Reply to
Al

hehehe... sure, so long as we can work some pie into it...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound