Saab 17" Wheels

I looking at to purchase a 2000 SE Convertible with the 17" wheels. I have heard from some folks that there are problems with them bending, does anyone have some experience or advice about them.

Thanks, Oscar

Reply to
Oscar Johnson

I have a '02 with 17 inch wheels. The looks is great. The ride is harsh (but I blame the sport package suspension), but given the fact I drive California roads with enormous potholes that will regularly shake the whole car (*any* car, my wife's SUV included), I think the wheels are as durable as can be expected. Keep the tire pressures to the correct spec - the only time I have bent a wheel (not on the Saab) was because I had become negligent and tire pressure was low, I think.

...pablo

Reply to
pablo

I just got a 2001 with 17" alloys. I knew one was buggered, and when they put in on the wheel balance device you could see it was seriously out of shape- too much to re-roll. So got a new one. The main problem with the 17" ones is kerbs- the new one got scraped yesterday. As the driver said (she will remain nameless)- now it looks like all the others!

Reply to
sdf

I agree with the curb comment. I had a BMW with 18" rims once...virtually no rubbber so even getting "close" to the curb meant wheel damage.

Reply to
Alistair

I have a 2004 9-3 Aero with summer 17" wheels. With so little air capacity in the 17" tire there is not much shock absorption. With my winter 16" alloys and Nokian tires, the difference is ride harshness is dramatic. Of course, I won't be doing any performance driving on the Nokians!

Reply to
dxyzc