Saab 9-6x officially dead

...As expected with the recent announcement of GM dropping its share in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru).

- tex

Reply to
Tex

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Tex at snipped-for-privacy@aspam101.org wrote on 07/10/2005 19:21:

... Anything to do with Toyota buying a chunk of GM's stock in Fuji?

So, the SAABaru is no more ... Ho-hum! Not the best of cross-manufacturer re-badgings I've seen. The big problem being that the "Scooby" is the modern equivalent of the C900, but the SAABaru was not anything like the top-spec/high-power vehicle that the C900 was in it's day. I was a nice enough car, but nothing special for either manufacturer.

I hear the next 9-2 will be based on the Vauxhall/Opel Astra. Their turbo convertible is quite a good car. Not a bad move, IMO. Vauxhall/Opel have come a long way since the "bad old days". Not a real "SAAB", but heck, what is nowadays. 'Contemporise .... Maaaannnn!' :)

I see SAAB/GM are interested in re-releasing the Sonett, based on the Vauxhall VX220! Schwing! I'd like one of those. Staunch competition to the VW re-release of the Scirocco :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Wow! They're re-releasing the Scirocco? Now that would be interesting. Any links? Google revealed no hints of this.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Thankfully, it was about the most revoltingly ugly vehicles they'd designed yet.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hehe. The Vauxhall VX220 is heavily based on Lotus Elise. So the Sonett will be a second step remake of the Elise. Yes, the VX220 is a real gem, but was handicapped by silly TV advertising; the actor Griff Rhys Jones in his underpants looking like a prat. As a result, the sales actually dropped.

Reply to
Johannes

in article se2dnctn6qBjidrenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Tex at snipped-for-privacy@aspam101.org wrote on 08/10/2005 01:38:

More on Jalopnik (Search for Scirocco).

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@slap-spam-sizefitter.com, Johannes at snipped-for-privacy@slap-spam-sizefitter.com wrote on 08/10/2005 10:42:

I've just been reading some contrary information this morning that Opel will work more closely with Saturn. Either way, the knock-on to a SAAB Speedster will be good.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday