Subaru in the US

I know GM owns 20% of Subaru, and that Subaru makes some of the cars in the US. Can anyone tell me or link to a URL which could satisfy my curiosity? My regular dealer wasn't any help...

Does the Indiana factory make Legacy/Baja/Outback models only? What percentage of Subaru vehicles sold in the US are made in the US? Which ones? Are the rest made in Japan or somewhere else?

Reply to
Byron

Subaru of Indiana makes the Legacy, Outback and Baja. It also assembles the Isuzu Rodeo and Axiom for Isuzu (the plant started out a 51/49 venture between Fuji and Isuzu; Fuji/Subaru bought out Isuzu a couple of years ago).

The Impreza-class models are built in Japan (Impreza/WRX/Forester). So are some small trucks and a couple of other models.

Suzuki built a version of the Swift for FHI as the Justy (not the US one - the successor model that was never sold here), and GM assembles a version of the Opel Zafira minivan for Subaru in Thailand.

Don't know the exact percentages, but the Legacy-class cars outsell the Impreza-class ones, so it's a majority of Subarus sold in the US that are built in Indiana.

Reply to
Edward J. Neth

Would anyone know if I can ship a European Legacy Outback (2001) home to the USA and Subaru-SIA could put it into US spec or advise where to have it done at a port of entry... the web page does not have a point of contact at the facility

Reply to
FLASHNET NEWS

Could you refer me to a site that proves your statement that "GM owns 20% of Subaru..."

I believe Subaru is owned 100 percent by Fuji Heavy Industry of Japan.

I think Suzuki has ties with GM. Perhaps you have confused the two.

Reply to
K R Larkin

Info on the Subaru/Isuzu joint plant in Indiana can be found at

Kevin Larkin

90 Legacy 91 Legacy 03 WRX
Reply to
K R Larkin

No, I didn't confuse the two.

You are right in regards to who owns Subaru. But I found that General Motors has owned 20% of Fuji H.I. since 1999.

's still an independent Japanese company, but GM is the largest shareholder.

What I said is sort of like saying Audi owns Lamborghini. That is true, but then Audi in turn is wholly owned by Volkswagen.

I forgot where I heard the info in the first place, but I know it was GM's influence that had (100% GM owned) Saab copy the Impreza for the new 9-2 and copy the Impreza WRX for the 9-2 Aero. Subaru is even making the Saab on the same production line in Japan - according to the Fuji web site, Saab production started March 15 of this year.

GM does have Suzuki ties as you state - the new Chevy Aveo is a Suzuki in bowtie clothing. I'm not sure of the link there, but I bet GM owns part of them. GM also has a stake in Isuzu and Fiat. They are the biggest car company in the world, and they keep that title in part by buying non-US companies. Look at the Brand list on the pulldown on GM's web site.

- Byron

Reply to
Byron

Subaru is a solely owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries of Japan.

Suzuki is 20% owned by GM, not Subaru.

If you go to

you can find a link that tells you about the the joint Subaru/Isuzu plant in Indiana, and what vehicles are manufactured there.

Reply to
K R Larkin

Hello - Kevin Larkin - are you awake?

See my 6:43pm EST 4/10/04 response to your post dated 6:03pm 4/10/04

Subaru is 20% owned by GM, because Fuji Heavy Industries is 20% owned by GM. GM has 10% ownership in Suzuki, and 49% ownership in Isuzu.

The plant in Indiana which was owned 51% by Subaru and 49% by Isuzu has been 100% owned by Subaru since 2003.

Subaru, owned by Fuji, is 20% owned by GM.The plant still manufactures a few Isuzu models, but it is now known as Subaru of Indiana Automotive. All of this info comes directly from Fuji's and Subaru's own web sites.

I still don't know the breakdown of how many Subaru vehicles sold in the US are made in the US. Based on

it's probably close to 50-50 if I assume all Legacy based models are made in the US and all Impreza based models are made in Japan. I've found that they'll make about 620,000 vehicles worldwide in '04.

Reply to
Byron

from globalauto.net newsletter: Global Auto Headlines Sunday, April 11, 2004

SUBARU

Subaru has confirmed reports that it will sell a seven-passenger crossover for the 2006 model year.

Subaru has confirmed that it will sell a seven-passenger crossover-utility vehicle in the US in fall 2005 as a 2006 model. The vehicle is likely to be built at Lafayette, IN, where Subaru assembles the Legacy, Outback and Baja. Spy photos indicate that the crossover will be the first application of Subaru's new corporate grille, which was previewed on the B9 Scrambler roadster concept at last year's Tokyo Motor Show. The crossover is based on a new, longer platform that will make the vehicle bigger than Subaru's Outback wagon. Although Subaru's parent Fuji Heavy Industries has a strategic alliance with General Motors (GM owns 20 percent of Fuji), the new vehicle and platform were developed exclusively by and for Subaru. The crossover will have Subaru's hallmark traits, such as all-wheel drive and a boxer engine, although Subaru says it has not finalized engine specifications.

Reply to
Wiwat Chang