[Saab_c900] 1983 8V turbo car fuel-pump news

I finally managed to get the fuel pump check valve to undo from the banjo fitting on the fuel line by manipulating a 12" shifting spanner over the body of the check valve to hold it steady while undoing the banjo fitting. This enabled me to get the pump assembly out of the tank. The rubber part of the pickup under the pump itself has totally decayed and broken into two pieces as you can see from the pics I've uploaded to here:

Tomorrow I'm going to take the best parts of both pump assemblies (including the one from the donor car that's also in a couple of those pics), and make a full working fuel-pump unit using the plastic hose and piece of filter gauze to stand in for the proper pickup and filter until I decide whether to buy a replacement rubber pickup from a place like saabsite.com or a local supplier that might have them new.

I suspect but still don't know for certain if that decayed rubber pickup is the whole cause of the car's engine running and starting inconsistencies but having proven the electrical side it 100 percent ok, it seems 99.9 percent likely to be the sole cause!

Will post more when I know for sure.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site