double camel back heads

I hear the 327 I have came from a 'vette. I hear the heads are 'nice.' I put the thing in a 350 monza, but never got around to finishing that project.

How special are the heads anyway?

Carl K

ps, please reply-all so that my email gets hit, otherwise I may forget to check back here.

Reply to
Carl K

Most everyone that has a Chevy V8 has one that came from a Corvette, most don't. The heads are not ones you can prove came from a Corvette but the block/heads assemble and their corresponding casting number matching the build date may be. The double hump heads you are referring to were those that had the biggest valves and would breath better. They were used on cars, trucks, Corvettes, and some boats. Their big value would come from someone looking for a set that had a casting date that made their Corvette NCRS correct, but the heads in most cases weren't the first to fail so the heads are relatively easy to find as compare to the block. Even then you need a good counterfeiter to re-stamp the block to get the whole assembly to its peak of value.

3774692, 3782870, 3782461, 3795896, 3884520, 3858180, 3890462, 3917291, 3917292, are all head numbers used on the 327, some of the 283's and 350 is just as bad dying with the boat anchor 333882 and 462624 head.
Reply to
Dad

Ok, so the heads are 'nice' but not 'special.'

Here's the deal: I have the 327, with:

13:1 pistons (block may be bored, i forget) holly 650 dual feed edelbrock manifold headers that fit in the Monza 4 speed trans (don't think it is anything special)

all in a monza, but not running. (has been sitting for 5 years. breaks never worked, never got the shifter linkage tuned in, so shifting is 'clunkly.'

A guy wants to give me $300 for the whole thing, but "I just want the trans. will probably put the engine in my garage and let it sit with 4 others. I'll give you $200 for just the trans/clutch and bell housing."

Think I should bother dropping the trans and trying to part out the motor?

here are some pretty pictures:

Carl K

Reply to
Carl K

Hard to say, only you can decide, if you want more ask for it; if not, let it go and forget about it.

Good luck

Reply to
Dad

thanks. That tells me what I need to know.

I don't want to hear "what?! you let that go for X? I would have given you 2x!"

also, someone is coming over tomorrow at 10am. may give me the whole 800. yay.

Carl K

Reply to
Carl K

The 13:1 pistons are pretty much useless with unleaded gas and you need a modified cam to go with that carburetor.

Reply to
Jon

Carl, a picture that far away tells very little about the engine from a monetary standpoint. Basically, it is a small block with aftermarket finned aluminum valve covers and aluminum intake with a Holley car.

The front stamp pad in front of the right side (passenger side) head will have the assembly code and sometimes a partial VIN. These will determine the value. If you clean that pad off and get a clear shot with the numbers large enough to read, then someone can tell you. However, scratching the surface is a big no-no so do not use a knife, scraper, sand paper, and so on to clean it up.

The double hump heads were used from 1962 on a lot of cars through 1967. There were roughly 1 million Chevies a year built, obviously not all had those heads, but a large number did. As such, the prices on a fresh set, ready to go, $300 to $600 depending on who is selling, if anything has been done to them, and how desperate the buyer is. The greasy used set are worth only around $150 - $200 even though many trying to sell sets like that try to get $300 and more.

A typical complete small block that runs is $300 minimum to around $500 or so. With the right numbers, the price can jump substantially.

You don't say how bad the Monza is. Vegas typical show up on eBay for decent dollars as projects for the V8 Vegas or drag cars, although there are a few who try to restore them.

You don't say what the transmission is. A Muncie four speed typically goes $400 to $1000 depending on which model and what numbers. It could easily be a Saginaw as they were in Vegas and Monzas and that is a door stop or boat anchor to most. If it is an automatic, again, it depends on what it is.

So you potentially have more there than the $800 but you might have to wait awhile and you would have to do some work parting it out. Frequently, selling in piece goes for less than in parts, but it removes the headache all at once rather that some today, some in a month, some more in three months, etc.

So you have to basically decide what is best for you.

Tom in Missouri

If you know the casting numbers of the heads and the block, you can look up what they are at

Eugene Blanchard

T0821

Where is the head number?

Carl K

Tom > Carl, a picture that far away tells very little about the engine from a

Carl K

Firefox can't find the server at

is that the right URL?

Carl K

Reply to
Carl K

whoops, missed the S:

T0821S

Carl K wrote:

Carl K

make that T082IS

Carl K wrote:

Carl K

T - Tonawanda - definitely NOT a Corvette engine as they were all F - Flint.

082I - 08/21 Aug 21st assembly date. You need a date code off the bellhousing flange behind the distributor to get the year. S - automatic. These were the base 327 engines with an automatic in passenger cars from 1962 to 1964.

As this is a Tonawanda block, the date code will be along this format - B 1

62, F 12 64, etc. The numbers may all run together without the spaces.

The head casting number will be among the rocker arms near one end.

The date code is usually below the casting number. If they are two digit years (62, 63, etc. as opposed to one digit, they are Tonawanda castings instead of Flint.) None of this will tell you if they are 1.94 or 2.02 valve size heads, however, most earlier ones were 1.94.

Tom in Missouri

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:32:55 -0500, Carl K puked:

I think the allure at the time was the 2.02 valves. I have a '68 327 in my '66 El Camino. (Was a 6 banger).

-- lab~rat >:-) Stupid humans...

Reply to
lab~rat >:-)

Works for me.