Something you may find interesting.

When I've had to get undeseal off (for welding), I've used a hot air gun and a scraper. If you heat it enough it softens up just lovely.

Reply to
Grunff

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 07/02/2004 20:36:

That's the fella, cheers!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Do you suppose that would work on the stuff they used back in 1963? Bitumin something or other?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Works on the bituminous stuff they used on old British cars - Triumphs etc.

If you're going to try it, I strongly recommend an activated charcoal mask, it produces some very nasty fumes.

Reply to
Grunff

Yeah, I found that out a couple years back in a welding, er, incident. Thanks. Spirits of some sort, then, to clean up the oily residue inevitably left on the metal? The next step I'm doing to the 96's floorboard involves the surfaces being oil-free for a while?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Way I do it is to heat it up to a point where its just tacky with a hot air gun then use a scraper to remove it. Use turps or similar to remove the residue. Messy and time consuming but does the job.

Cheers Matt

Reply to
**-**

Yes, it works fine on 95/96 too. Instead of a hot air gun you could use a paint remover torch (the one on gas, also used for soldering copper water pipes). Do not hold the flame so close to the undercoating that it melts or catches fire, just heat it up enough so it softens up, then you can just peel away large pieces.

------ MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8 http://go,to/saab96

Reply to
MH

Yeah - you'll have some gunk left behind. I normally get this off with a wire brush on an angle grinder. This is much quicker than trying to clean it off with a solvent. But if you want to use a solvent, something oily, like what we call white spirit, would work ok.

Reply to
Grunff