source for new key fobs?

Hi all,

The remote keyless entry key fob is starting to be really picky as to whether it wants to work, or not. Also, the black rubber pads are starting to wear through.

Can anyone suggest a cheap source for a replacement? Also, what's involved with programming a new fob? It'd defeat the purpose of having it, if it doesn't work. Also, the other one I had stopped working some time ago so I'm down to this one.

This is for a 1995 900SE turbo Convertible, if that matters, partswise.

Thanks,

Robert

Reply to
robertjm

Ebay is a good source. You could try

and see how much they want for a new on. You have to have a dealer program it. If you buy it from a dealer, they might cut you a deal on programming. You can't do it yourself... that's part of theft-prevention.

Reply to
Retroed Bob

Robert,

Yes you will need a dealer or indie with a Tech II to program your car to accept the new remote. You can program your car to accept up to 4 remotes.

The rubber pads can be purchased seperately. The remote come apart and it pops right in. Also a picky fob can be caused by weak batteries. You may just need a pad and batteries.

I hope you have more than one remote. If you were to lock the car with a remote and the remote fails, you will be hating life. Once the alarm system is armed with a remote, it can ONLY be unarmed with a remote.

Yes you will be able to unlock the car with the key, but the alarm will go off and you will not be able to start the car. The fix is to replace the alarm ECU. The part is around $500-$600.

ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST 2 WORKING REMOTES WITH THIS ALARM SYSTEM!!!!

Good luck, Steve

Reply to
Steve Crowe

Not true on the 9000. I had my 1996 Aero altered by a Tech-II so that I could use the key OR the fob to set or deactivate the alarm. I locked my one fob in the car; I used the second key to get in and set the alarm off, then used the fob to turn it off. I didn't have to replace anything else.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith