test message - posting for different machine

Hi,

Just trying out posting from a different machine - my ~c900 webspace was accidentally deleted and being a Unix machine recovery is not easy. Some of the file are going to have been lost forever! sigh

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Dewick

Craig,

No backups??? Off-site?

Anything on DVD-R, CD-R??/

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

No! But I have discovered an open-source file recovery toolkit that supports Solaris and it's running the second stage now.

Not really of relevance to this group but you can explore the software yourself at "

" or "
" if any of you are interested in this sort of thing.

The sub-directories didn't get deleted so all the stuff in them is still there, and the master copy of "

" is safe too. I'm sure that with perseverence I can recover the files that have gone - I've 'repaired' SunOS/Solaris-based systems from really bad user blunders (usually mine!) before so this is a learning experience in forensic Unix filesystem analysis. 8-) Craig.

Reply to
Craig Dewick

in article dettt1$8aa$ snipped-for-privacy@yoda.apana.org.au, Craig Dewick at snipped-for-privacy@jedi.apana.org.au wrote on 29/08/2005 04:02:

That's bad luck, mate :(

It does show the need for good (tested) backup systems. I use rsync for critical data which runs once an hour with cron.

For my personal computer running Mac OS X, I *could* use the same technology, but an excellent piece of software, called Carbon Copy Cloner, does a much neater job for me and the clone is bootable. This was invaluable when my last hard drive failed ... I just carried on off the external clone and replaced internal drive at my leisure.

Good luck with the restore.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Paul,

How do you use rsync? I have Linux and want to know how to do good "automated" backups.

Do you have any command examples?

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

How so? Just restore from your backups, just like any other system....

If it was online, you can get some or all of it out of google's cache or the "wayback machine", an online archive of damn near every webpage.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave,

Can you give us more information about the "wayback machine"??

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy

Thanks Dave for the tip re Google and for the private email explaining it in more detail. I have been able to recover almost all of the HTML files that way except for the tool page which was only 2 days old (and hadn't been submitted to Google yet!).

Depending when the 'lazarus' tool finishes doing it's block analysis on the free disk space from the affected machine, I might put the files online on a different machine (using the same username - just a different host to serve them) or wait to see what the disks analysis reveals.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Dewick

Yay!

Let me know how that works out. From time to time I get asked to do something of that nature, and usually respond in a less-than-helpful way. And let me know if you want to rsync your content off to one of my servers for safekeeping; I've got a few gig (very seldom changes, so syncs would be small) that I wouldn't mind keeping elsewhere so maybe we could trade.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, Saab Guy at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 29/08/2005 15:05:

'man rsync' ... Type at the command prompt or into google.

It's really down to what you want to do with it. The 'man' page is very comprehensive, but I'm sure a 'rsync examples' into google will enlighten you if you just want to get started.

I think examples are often counter-productive, since you end up using the command as others have, rather than learning it for yourself, being creative and getting it to do exactly what you want.

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

I'm using a different machine again. 8-) This is one that I loaded the disk from my workstation into for the file recovery process.

Anyway, I've got back all the HTML files except the "

" one but that is easy torecreate as it was just a table with lots of info about sourcing tools foruse with C900's.

The first run of the 'lazarus' tool from The Coroner's Toolkit package failed after two days of running with an error - I'm running it again and if no luck I'll put the workstation back online again and try to recover anything else from what the recovery tools were able to report.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Ian Dewick

All you need to know is there. Just put in a webaddress that you know has been a round for a while, and has changed over the years.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Hey guys check out the archived Saab websites!

SmaartAasSaabr