That old CHECK COOLANT FLUID message

Aero 9-5, 2002 vintage. This Check Coolant message appears very occasionally, said fluid was indeed checked out to be ok. A search on
previous incidents of this has shown me the odd concerned message - in particular several threads on something I'd rather avoid but have it now if it's going to be fixable on warranty: head gasket.
Is it possible the Saab pooter acts up or there's a duff intermittent sensor? The message always pops up (if it's going to) at cold start, never reappears if the ignition is turned off and on (this is not to suppress it but a fact of the current lot of this car: short journeys).
Any info welcome..
--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com

Is the coolant level going down? If it is then, funnily enough, you have a coolant leak. The best way to find out if it's going past the head gasket is to drop in to a dealer and get the system pressure tested. (They didn't charge when I did that, but then they did get the ensuing head gasket job...) There's plenty of other places it might be leaking from though.
If the coolant level is constant, then try putting some extra coolant in first. If that doesn't cure it, then you can find out whether it's the float switch in the reservoir that's the problem by using the car with the switch unplugged for a while (you may need to bridge the contacts in the plug, depending on which sense the switch works in).
Cheers,
Colin.
Thanks for the 2 answers - check water pump seals after checking coolant level. Latter is ok, the pooter only whinges once per fortnight or so as well. But I'll give it a good once-over on the weekend and even if the coolant checks out I might as well get Brains looked at while he's still under warranty (or he might fire the eject seat one day).
--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com

Does the fluid level go down? Not uncommon for the water pump seals to seep on this model. Usually telltale signs visible in the area around the water pump. Good idea to have the problem looked into before the warranty runs out whatever the source of the leak...if there is a leak.
BL