Timing belt or chain

Hi,

According to the Haynes manual my 1997 9000 2.0 LPT has a timing

*chain*. My colleague who followed me and got a 9-3 2.0 LPT (1998 or 1999 model) thinks his has a timing belt.

Does the above 9-3 have a belt or a chain please?

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

I have a '99 9-3 2.0 FPT, and it has got timing _chain_. It also has about

2m long drive _belt_, but it just drives auxialiry systems. However, since it is called _drive_belt_ and it requires attention (changing) in major services, it confuses people to think it is the same thing as timing belt. I'm pretty sure it is same way in LPT.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

The 4-cylinder Saab engines have chains. The V6 has a belt.

See above. If it's a V6, make sure the belt gets changed when it needs to be or ugly things (pistons/valves/breakage/expense) will happen.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

2.0 LPT is an inline-4.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

Yes that is the one. Thank you.

Is there a preset time interval for replacing the belt for the auxiliary components (water pump, alternator, air con. etc)?

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles Christacopoulos

Well, can't be 100% sure I remember it right, but I believe it was every

60kmiles. It is said in one of the manuals, if you have them. If you don't, I can check it from mine and post it here on Monday.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon