Using CD-ROMs in a 95's CD Stacker

Hi, the manual for the 95 says that you should not use CD-ROMs in the CD stacker due to the danger of heat build up. I don't understand why this would occur but am not game to try it to see. Does anyone have any information or experience that might shed some light on this for me?

thanks Keith

Reply to
Keith Winchester

Keith,

I did not know that the Saab 95 had even any radio unit in it, I mean, come on it was built in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Since there is no significant physical difference between a CD and CD-ROM I can't remotely imagine why this is suggested.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Graham,

However, CDs have uncompressed music, therefore need less spinning and wear-and-tear, thus leading to less heat buildup.

A CD-ROM with compressed Audio, Video, artwork and all sorts of other things takes much more of a beating, leading to more heat buildup.

I bet the manual wasn't thinking about the content of the CDs leading to more/less heat buildup though, it can't be, it must be something more simple.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

There are physical differences - CD-ROMs have the data encoded on a chemical layer which can get degraded by high temperatures. "Pressed" CDs are not prone to this problem and can survive prolonged high temperatures.

So, basically, Saab are saying "Our CD changer gets really hot inside. So much so that it might damage the data on CD-ROMs"

Sounds like a typical legal back-covering exercise to me.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Yay! at last someone who knows what they're talking about!

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Colin,

So you are saying I am wrong?

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Sure it has:

Late '70s as well, last one in 1978.

Reply to
MH

I totally agree with regard to CD rom versus pressed CD.

There is another thing to consider, many people who make backups of their own CD's for use in the car use one of those labelling thingumies.

I had trouble with a home dvd player not playing back ups after about an hours use, i.e. the playback started to freeze. I asked at a computer fair, and was immediately told by several "anoraks" that labelling is a bad thing, as it increases the heat build up with the paper insulation.

Just a thought.

Frankly if the only worry is the CD R may get damaged at the data level, who cares, they're only a few pennies a shot now. I seriously doubt your changer will lunch itself.

And Saab Guy, yes I think you were at best mistaken. A copy of a CD is a copy of a CD. Only the music files would be accessed. Any other data would be ignored by a CD player.

Al

Reply to
Al

Al,

Nope, my old Sony CD player played a few CD-Roms before, when you see 2 tracks at 84 minutes long, you know it's reading "something", but not audio.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

at 84 minutes long, you know it's reading "something", but not audio.

If the disc isn't encoded as audio, a modern player will just refuse to play it, spit it out, call it "bad" or whatever. Older players might get confused like your Sony. The worst that can happen is that they end-up playing the disc as though it was audio. That's bad for the ears, but not really bad for the player unless the volume is set really high - then watch out for the tweeters.

The assumption here though, is that we're talking about discs that ARE encoded as audio. Why would anyone want to keep non-playable discs in their player for longer than it takes to realize they're non-playable?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

wear-and-tear, thus leading to less heat buildup.

takes much more of a beating, leading to more heat buildup.

more/less heat buildup though, it can't be, it must be something more simple.

A standard CD changer won't read compressed data ( except maybe mp3 on more modern units ) so that's irrelevant.

I make 'backups' of my music CDs onto CD-ROM before using them in the car. I can think of no valid technical reason why they should get any warmer. And I design electronics ( especially audio ) so I'm not just saying it off the top of my head either.

The only interesting physical difference between music CDs and CD-ROMs is that a CD has a metallised data layer whilst CD-ROMs have things like organic dyes in place of the metallisation.

I believe the TOC ( table of contents ) is written differently too but that simply gets read at startup.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

tracks at 84 minutes long, you know it's reading "something", but not audio.

I know you can get dash mounting units that'll read mp3 files now.

The 2 tracks remaining at 84 mins is the result of using 800MB CD-ROMS instead of 650MB types that are 100% compatible with the CD audio standard. Some players will handle them, others won't. Some may even play the end tracks but not allow you to skip back on them.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That sounds like a plausible explanation. As does the paper label thing too. I don't recall ever having seen a max temp spec for CD-ROMs. Considering cars get hot in the sun etc too, the operating temperature will be much higher than in a PC drive.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What electronics (especially audio) do you design again?

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I've designed extensively for this company over the years.

The current product range is bit thin due to problems with the 'old' company. I'd explain further but it'll take ages. If you go to News - history of RSD you'll see some of the previous stuff I designed.

Outside of audio I've been involved in all sorts of stuff from 'process control' machinery through to marine radar to name a couple of examples.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks Colin your explanation sounds pretty spot on. With what CDRs cost these days, if one bites the dust every now and again who cares?

Then again someone out there might try to sue Saab for pain and suffering if their favourite "back-up copy" suffers heat stroke on a trip and they have to listen to something else.

cheers Keith

Reply to
Keith Winchester

Mixing desks & PA right? I started off as a trainee recording engineer / tape op at a small 24 track studio in Cambridge. Went on to dabble in various audio equipment before ending up in the Marshall amps in Milton Keynes . Now happily left it all behind and working as an advertising copywriter.

Reply to
Nasty Bob

tracks at 84 minutes long, you know it's reading "something", but not audio.

You certainly can. A lot of changers do it too. Better still, you can get head-units that read MP3s from DVD media. Hmmm... My whole collection on a single disc. Now that's worth ditching the original system in my 2001 9-3 for. One day I'll get round to it.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp