Cleaning lens on in-dash CD changer?

I just bought a 2001 Outback with the 1-DIN in-dash CD changer (separate from radio/tape deck) It shuffles CDs just fine, but doesn't actually play them; I can hear it spin up the disk and make quiet head-seeking noises for a bit and then it gives up. Is there any way to clean the lens on these things without taking them apart? The manual says not to use cleaning CDs, and in my experience they don't work anyhow.

It looks like salvage units are available pretty cheap but I'd like to give cleaning a shot first.

~Adam A

Reply to
Adam Aulick

Compressed air? Only a thought, as I haven't tried it. If it were mine however, I would probably take the player apart, as I prefer to visualize what is wrong so I can see that my efforts are being spent in the right direction, then get at the laser lens with something akin to a dry q-tip. Careful the cleaning solution you use, if any, as many lenses are plastic.

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

You'll need to disassemble the thing to get to the laser diode/lens assembly. I've never done one of the Subaru (Clarion ?) units, so I can't offer a procedure, but typically you will be able to get to it after removing the correct panel/cover. Use rubbing alcohol on a Qtip or the like to clean. Be sure you don't leave any residue or fibers. If you get that far, you might as well clean and lubricate the lead-screw drive mechanism and track while you're at it; use alcohol, Qtips and/or clean cloth. Lubricate sparingly with white grease. Try Radioshack for the grease. They used to carry it, but have gotten kinda useless lately. Failing that, use the white lithium grease available from a bearing supply house or whatever. Key word is sparingly. Above said, try a hard reset before resorting to disassembly. There may be a place you can insert a straightened paper clip or the like; it'll be labeled "reset". Accomplish the same thing by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for the time it takes to swill a beer. If you have the unit out (ie have unplugged it from the harness), you have reset it. I have seen the problem you are describing go away after a reset. Hope this is helpful.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

[lots of good advice]

Well, that was frustrating. I disconnected the battery, read my mail, reconnected it, put in a CD and Eureka! It works! Sat out there in the

10 degree cold for a few minutes just enjoying my music and the taste of easy success. Went in to get some more CDs, stuffed it full and... the changer only likes Pink Floyd. Definitely will be cleaning the lens.

I guess Pink Floyd is better than nothing anyhow. Maybe if I get some more of their albums on CD....

~Adam

Reply to
Adam Aulick