Sentra CD player question

My elderly aunt and uncle have either a 2001 or 2002 Sentra. The manual says you should never play CDRs in the cd player but it doesn't say why. My own car which is a 1998 Mercury Mystique plays CDRs just fine. Why would the manual for the Sentra say not to play them? Does anyone know if it is ok to play them or not? It doesn't make sense to me. My aunt would really like to play her CDRs but we're afraid something might happen. I don't know if it's true but I heard some CDRs can mess up older or non-compatible cd players so that's mainly why we're a little nervous about just sticking one in there.

Reply to
Mike

Joseph Peterson

nissan's contract with clarion wasnt updated. the nissan radios are using 1995 technology in 2000 and up The CD lazer and software should have been updated as a running change as the technology advanced.

They didnt , and few car companies have.

That is why you DON'T BUY THE GARBAGE STEREOS FROM THE CAR COMPANIES

Buy a new stereo at

Throw the factory radio at the dealer and the regional manager to get your point accross.

Car companies should build CARS,, they can put in properly sized AM/FM radios, antennas and decent sized speakers in proper locations.

Leave the Upgrading to the customer. The car companies are CLUELESS on how to build an audio system.

Reply to
Im Right

My 2002 Sentra CD player handles CDRs just fine-just give it a try

Reply to
Rocky Bullwinkle

some cd-rs just don't work right in cd players; it usually only happens when you try overburning or doing something above and beyond what the cd is normally capable of.

you should be fine; i've played nothing BUT cd-rs in the stock player in my '03 gxe with no problems at all thus far (bought car last november).

it's the same reason cd-rw drive manufacturers tell you never to overburn cds or you could damage the burner. i've never heard of anybody damaging the burner from doing something like overburning, but the manufacturer has an obligation to cover their ass so if something DOES go wrong, you can't hold them to it. same with nissan; if you put a damaged cd-r in the player and it screws up, they don't want to have to replace it--it's easier to just tell the customer not to do it.

Reply to
MCP

I've had success with Memorex CD-R and HP Music CD-R, both of which are 80 min. / 700 MB media. Other brands my work equally well, those are just the brands that I bought, and still have blank discs remaining.

I also burn those CD's at 4x speed, to be extra "safe".

[snip...]
Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

it is my understanding that so long as the CD-R has that little "compact disc" logo on it (like the one that should be on your CD burner), it's safe for use in CD players.

once again, i think nissan was just covering their asses by saying not to use _ANY_ CD-Rs because surely there is someone out there who would use a non-standardized CD-R or even a CD-RW (which would never work), muck up the disc player and try to get it replaced under warranty.

Reply to
MCP

Isn't a 'lazer' the things the Klingons used?

BTW, you're an idiot. I have a pre-1990 D-5 'portable' that still works AND plays CD-R's.

Reply to
Atarian