Vibrations when braking

I have much vibrations in the steering wheel and car when I brake at 60 km/hour or at 80 km/hour. Not at higher speeds! I suppose if the discs where bad the problem should get worser at higher speeds, or not?

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

Not necessarily. Sometimes it balances out a bit at higher speeds. You should probably have the rotors checked for runout and thickness variation. Some rotors distort under heat (highway braking) and may test OK in the drive but bad on the road.

It's possible that it's a slight wheel balance or other similar problem. When you step on the brake it tries to stop the out of balance condition (by nature of the design of disk brakes) and you can get vibration feeding back.

More likely it is the brakes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

My first suspicion is warped rotors. I had this problem on a car I bought but they were so bad there was vibration at any speed. The other things I would look at are the CV Joints, ball joints, shocks (especially the rubber bushings), axle bearing.

Jim '87 C900s 247K

Reply to
Jim