Vibrations when (hand)braking

When driving 80 km/hour and gently pulling the handbrake, severe vibrations in the steering wheel occur. Is this normal?

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

in article 42f5bd5a$0$39330$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.nl, Wido van Krieken at snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl wrote on 07/08/2005 08:50:

I'm not sure that pulling the handbrake at 80 km/h *is* normal ... I think the vibration is likely to be a the pads gripping the discs in a slightly uneven manner. Still, not an advisable action at speed!

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

If you pull it harder you might find the car 'going in the opposite direction' actually.

DONT PULL THE HANDBRAKE IN MOTION unless you have a serious death wish.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No, it is not normal to pull the handbrake at 80 km/h... (Not that it matters much, but what Saab?)

Reply to
MH

I'm betting Pre-87/88 C900 or an earlier model.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Quite. I did that may years ago in a Ford Fiesta. And worse, the handbrake locked in its position - of course, they usually do that. But I hadn't thought of that and had only had microseconds to figure out what the f was going on!

Reply to
Johannes

Actually it does matter as some models simply actuate the regular service brake calipers. If he is getting vibration when the regular brake is being actuated it means the rotors are probably warped or shot.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

He did not say year/make/model car, if he did I missed it. I had a Fiesta and the parking brake is on the rear wheels. Turn the wheel, hit the gas and yank up on the parking brake = one tight turn! My next car as a 1985 Saab 900, parking brake on the front wheels - so no handbrake turns. I later got a 1990 900, with the handbrake on the rear wheels. This enabled me to practice J-turns again :-)

Reply to
ma_twain