What killed this group?

    Just wondering....was quite active and informative a year or so ago....

ffflick wrote:

And who are you? You don't seem to be a regular member. Maybe a troll?

Non-binary usenet in general appears to be being used less and less.
My guess is that it's a combination of faster and faster connections combined with readily available, "pretty" forums.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DervMan wrote:

Maybe that's the case. But I like the simplicity and elegance of ng. Far easier to follow and to search in the groups.google archive. Also the fact that it is slightly offbeat in the public conscience. I.e. news reporters always refer to it as "chat-rooms" or "forums", perhaps to keep the secret of usenet to themselves.

It seems to be. Take a look at the Barry Boys forum to see that anybody with a keyboard, mouse and no brain cells can get on t'internet forums these days.

I also like the fact that you can view stuff offline.

Yes. It's that slight geekiness, isn't it... :)

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

We're all supposed to be 'blogging' nowadays. Blogs are annoying to use because you have to troll through so much content to find things of interest. At least with newsgroups and forums it's fairly trivial to skip over things that are not interesting and go straight for the 'meaty' bits. 8-)

Probably part of it, but the forums need to be good quality without the overbearing 'steering' of content for a certain purpose like what happens with the forums at a certain saabnet website. At least here in this free and open newsgroup all discussion is welcomed no matter if someone else happens to agree or disagree with a point of view. That's the true value of newsgroups, and it's what forum sites should do to but unfortunately at least one has commercial interests as a higher priority than allow free, open access and discussions.
Regards,
Craig.
--
Craig's Saab C900 Page at | Craig's Classic Saab Workshop - Sydney .au
http://lios.apana.org.au/~c900 | http://www.classicsaab.net and other URL's

But they are not being introduced to real Saabs, only to the ghost of the "brand". Long time GM customers are used to a diet of multi hued shit and would only expect more of the same, so they will inadvertently aid and abet the loss of Saab DNA.

Says who? What makes a real Saab a real Saab? Why is a current Saab a lesser Saab than a 1980 Saab?
Drive any modern <insert brand> and it's very different from something in the 1970s. Modern stuff with a Saab badge is a modern interpretation of what you may consider to be a proper Saab.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

See also: Wolseley/MG/Riley c. 1965...?
Adrian wrote:

It was their death knell. Well... MG escaped after a fashion but only because there were genuinely unique MG models.
Graham
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

People still want the MG ZR, ZS, ZT derived from the Rover 25, 45, 75. More so the ZR. It isn't a unique product, merely something that is perceived as being "British" and "sporty."
Just like Saab. It's perceived as being "Swedish" and "comfortable."
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

factory-chavved. Saves dealing with the muppets at Halfords, I s'pose.
gurgled happily, sounding much like they

Correct. Regardless of taste, people still want it.
Somebody at the office chopped in their Audi S3 for a ZR 2.0 diesel. "Oh I bought the S3 back in May but it's been too expensive to run, my ZR is as quick* but British** and cheaper to run."
*coughing fit.
**hacking up and coughing fit.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
DervMan wrote:

The MG Z cars was a bold move. It worked for a while, but time went on and there were no replacements on the horizon, while their competitors had undergone several transformations. That was in particular a problem for ZR and ZS. The cars looked more and more like Halfords tarted up bangers.

Sorry, but that's just Tommy Rot. It's not an interpretation, it's a Vauxhall with a blue badge. (I like Vauxhalls BTW!)
Real Saabs died with the 9000, the last Saab with any true Saab bloodline.
That said, the 9-3 is an excellent motorcar, and the most reliable car (of any brand) we've ever owned was a NG 900s.
This newsgroup died when the likes of Saab Druids such as Grunf disappeared, and Dave Hinz isn't here anymore to point and laugh at when he gets all uptight about top posting and netiquette...
Al (awaiting the flame fest!)
Al ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The Alfa 164/Fiat Croma/Lancia Thema, y'mean? <grin>
I s'pose that had a hint of Saab heritage - after all, there was the Saab 600/Lancia Delta...
Adrian wrote:

It didn't look like any of those did it ? Nor did it share engines or running gear or interiors. It was after all only a shared bodyshell and the later CS model radically changed that (for the better) anyway.
Graham
johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@size-nospamme95754-fitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. You forget to mention the Triumph engine, though.

It was a Ricardo designed engine.
--

Richard Sutherland-Smith
19 Webb Road, Wanganui 4500, NZ

Only until the 'B' engine was replaced by the 'H' engine.
Craig.