winterizing saab 9-5

I just bought a new old 9-5 (2001) in Montreal, Canada, where the winter is not so gentle. I am considering spraying the underside with a winter protectant -- standard protocol for winter rust-prrofing. Is it worth doing this? Or is the orginal rust proofing good enough?

Thanks,

Artur

Reply to
Artur

Well, they build it in Sweden, so....

Reply to
Zweef®

A lot of folks I know in Canada swear by oil treatments. However, they seem to do OK in New England and we don't do that sort of thing around here. YMMV.

Reply to
Bob

Don't treat the underside of the 9-5 with some "oil treatment" unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure that the oil is compatible with the wax based rust protection applied at the factory. If the oil reacts with the wax you will get less protection.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Depends how much salt you use on the roads over there...I think the standard of rustproofing on modern cars and saabs in particular is pretty good, it's also galvanised I think...Saab may insist any anti-rust treatment is applied by them to preserve any corrosion warrantees...

Here in the UK I use something called Waxoyl (hammerite products) as it's name implies it's a nice thick oil/wax mixture, I used it on all my old Saab

99's and they lasted for years..Of course saab rust-proofing was far superior as standard than the english product around at the time....
Reply to
Chris

I live in Ottawa, and I have used oil spraying for many years..it works! It's the salt that is spread on the roads to melt the ice that is the main concern.

I've used a few brands that all seem to work equally well to control corrosion however;

  1. Bargain shops do not get inside doors, rockers, seams etc. as well as some other shops so the effectivness is marginalized.

  1. Some products will swell/break down rubber ( weather stripping etc.) I've had some bad experiences.

  2. I use Krown yearly applied in Oct./Nov. It's a bit pricy but autobody shops apply it and do a very thorough job. Krown does not appear to adversly affect rubber.

BL

Reply to
BL