Antitheft metod - Right or wrong?

Hi guys, as you know, car theft is a problem wherever you go. In my country, there's ALMOST no risk of your beetle to be stolen, but, anyways you don't want you time and money investment to become a number.

An old man told me yesterday of a method they used back in the '70's to prevent your VW to be stolen. Whenever they parked the vehicle for a long while on a high crime area, they opened up the distributor cap and removed the rotor. They just walked away with the rotor in the pocket. So a thief wouldn't be able to turn the car on.

My questions are, is this a good practice? is it safe to remove the rotor and carry it around in your pocket or purse? what are the risks (besides losing it) of doing so?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The only risk is that you will lose the rotor ;) And if you take it off for let's say 100 times, the rotor might get loose and need=20 to be replaced. It is not so easy to take the rotor with you that I would want to do that every time. Also if someone really want's to steal your car, he will tow it away anyway or have a rotor in his pocket to use for stealing.

I use a steering wheel lock bar. Not theftproof, because it is not a model that would lock to the pedals and someone could take the whole wheel off and have a spare wheel in his pocket ;) But it will prevent most cases and is also visible to the thieves so that they do not bother in the=20 first place to start trying.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

That's what I do.........

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You will never be able to stop the determined thief.....the goal is to discourage the joyrider and someone looking for a quick boost. Pulling the rotor works well, as does pulling the coil wire. Yeh, they can be replaced by a thief, but unless he REALLY wants YOUR car, he will most likely look for an easier target.

Sneaks

Reply to
Sneaks

Wouldn't putting a kill switch between the ignition and the starter accomplish the same thing, plus save the battery from getting drained with fruitless cranking?

My first Bug ('60) had a relay installed between the ignition and starter (key connected to the solenoid). It stranded me once. I happened to be at my grand-parents about 4 hrs from home. Once I figured out how it was wired, I just hooked the wire from the key straight to the starter. Back in business. No problem after that.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~

The problem just is that in order to find out that this car won't start, =

the thief has already possibly scraped the driver door paint or broken a window, tinkered with the ignition etc. After that he will be = frustrated because he has taken a risk tampering with this vehicle and possibly will show the frustration to your car.

I prefer methods that can be seen beforehand without first breaking in and trying to steal the car.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

When I'm concerned, I just remove the + wire from the Coil.

Achieves the same thing faster with less risk.

T.

The only risk is that you will lose the rotor ;) And if you take it off for let's say 100 times, the rotor might get loose and need to be replaced. It is not so easy to take the rotor with you that I would want to do that every time. Also if someone really want's to steal your car, he will tow it away anyway or have a rotor in his pocket to use for stealing.

I use a steering wheel lock bar. Not theftproof, because it is not a model that would lock to the pedals and someone could take the whole wheel off and have a spare wheel in his pocket ;) But it will prevent most cases and is also visible to the thieves so that they do not bother in the first place to start trying.

Reply to
MN AirHead

The club is a visible deterrent however it doesn't take long to cut thru the steering wheel as most car thieves know. One woman used 'the club' as a club on a car jacker at a local gas station. The best theft deterrent is one that is visible before breaking in and trying to steal it as you indicated in another response. The more you make them work for it the less likely they are to steal it. There are many items on the market to make it less likely to be stolen. From decals $2-$5, kill switches $$10-$150, steering wheel locks $25-$150, alarms $100-$1000, electronic tracking devices $400-$1500 but the one I like the most is the sign in the window 'caution live poisonous animals' with a picture of a rattle snake on it and a couple of burlap bags in the back seat. At least one which obviously has something in it. Maybe even have a rubber snake stretched out on the dash... ;-]

The only risk is that you will lose the rotor ;) And if you take it off for let's say 100 times, the rotor might get loose and need to be replaced. It is not so easy to take the rotor with you that I would want to do that every time. Also if someone really want's to steal your car, he will tow it away anyway or have a rotor in his pocket to use for stealing.

I use a steering wheel lock bar. Not theftproof, because it is not a model that would lock to the pedals and someone could take the whole wheel off and have a spare wheel in his pocket ;) But it will prevent most cases and is also visible to the thieves so that they do not bother in the first place to start trying.

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

I've always figured that whetever technical method you choose would work better if you didn't tell everyone about it on ramva.

I know. Back to my corner...

;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I do NOT want to know who happens to have an inflatable "friend" just laying around : - 0

Reply to
1974 Std Sunbug

I like the removable steering wheel with a lock on cap, turn wheels full lock, pull the key, now the car is very hard to tow from a parking space, and really hard with cars parked next to it, and will have to be towed down the road sideways taking up two lanes.

Reply to
Douglas

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:07:09 -0600, Ant shared the following:

Yes, but if I told y'all then I'd have to kill you. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

true, but do we know any trick the thiefs don't know?

Ant

Max Welt> I've always figured that whetever technical method you choose would work

Reply to
Ant

What about an inflatable passenger? ;)

Ant

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
Ant

Reply to
KWW

It will make your Beetle a definite chick magnet... or not.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Reply to
jimt

I've used a very simple method few years ago:

Buy a male & female mono headphone jack from radio shack. Drill a hole and install the female close by your stereo or anywhere you want. Route the power from the key switch to the female mono jack. Cut the wire so that you will have one end going to each end of the jack (basically you want a broken connection) Open the male jack and solder a wire between the two connectors shorting it out. put it back together. You can drill a small hole in the black plastic for a key ring to go through it. Obviously when the male jack is in the female the car will start, pull it out and it wont start anymore. Simple ... cheap ....clever... and it works.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

........................A hot wire in the engine compartment and a push start would still let them drive away in your bug. Also, I bet that a foil chewing gum wrapper could be stuffed into that phone jack with a pencil and voila!.........ignition circuit activated!!!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Well DUH.... you must be a genius... Of course you can even stick a nail in the jack too.... and activate the circuit. It's called a DETERANT not an ALARM SYSTEM. Heck the idea of walking around with a rotor in your pocket was pretty good as well. I guess one can always get a big viscous dog and lock 'em in your car or bite the bullet and buy a car alarm.

Reply to
Narley Dude®