Oil leak on 94 2.2 Legacy with 90K miles - change the oil pump as well?

94 Legacy auto wagon with 90K miles. Oil leak from the front of the engine so probably the oil pump seal or the front crank seal. How long do the oil pumps tend to last? Should I replace the oil pump while I'm in there, or is that not necessary?

Chris

Reply to
CRGILL

I don't know what kind of engine you have. I just did mine (2.5 l DOHC) and the oil pump back plate was loose. There's some evidence that this causes the seal to fail. I removed the 5 screws, cleaned them and the holes and locktited them in place. The seal was also a different color and may be improved.

jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I replace the seal about every 100,000 miles but have never replaced a pump...then again I only keep my Legacys for about 300,000 miles. TG

Reply to
TG

I too would replace the pump seal... Just got rid of a 1998 Forester that was plagued with crank seals going all the time, bought the extended warranty from Subaru because it had such issues over its 60k (short) life. I am a believer in Subaru's I have owned four of them. It seems that some of the same problems regarding crank seals and cam seals rear wheel bearings piston slap. warped rotors and rattling calipers to name a few have been plaguing their good name for a decade. My 80's generation Subaru's were flawless. Both my 90 and 98 both left my service earlier than I would have liked them to. From what I seen in the newsgroups they are still suffering can anyone say clutch shuddering. I will not even get into the dealers who make or break a relationship, I think the dealers have always lacked in owning up to problems. It was just in the past you didn't need to see them. I had one 86 Subaru that in 160,000 miles only had one part fail in its life a waterpump that cost $60.00 bucks and was so easy to replace on the H-4 It was a joy to replace. I hope they get their act together again, the addition of the turbos back to the lineup is great start. I will own one again undoubtedly because they appeal to my need to be different. Baja or who knows a "Saabaru" may turn out to be a great car.

Reply to
micky