92 sc manual shift linkage

My 92 sc manual lost the "grommet" from the gear shift to the forward back throw cable. It was a bit funny actually. I got stuck in reverse after backing out of a parking spot. I had to keep backing 180 degrees around to another spot.

Anyway, I removed the center console, put it in 3rd by pulling the cable by hand and used a lot of clutch to get home.

Now the problem: I can't find anyone that sells the 25 cent "grommet" that holds the cable on the shifter. Saturn wants to sell me the ENTIRE cable for $200!

Does anyone sell that little plastic piece?

Any ideas out there? I friend of mine had the same failure and ended up machining a replacement "grommet" out of hard rubber.

I called 6th planet, but they have not called back yet.

- Mike, Friendswood, Texas

Reply to
Mike

I lost the metal one that holds the cable to the tranny case(not the linkage itself, it anchors it to the case). Saturn stocked it and it was like .50c or something like that. I had heard from other people that Saturn only sells the whole assy but that was not true in my case. Maybe you can call another dealer or talk to the parts manager at your dealer to see if they can help(maybe the grommet is "officially" called something different and the person you talked to didn't know about it).

I think 6th planet will only sell you the whole cable assy.

Reply to
BANDIT2941