94 SL1 wannabesubmarine in Key West has a couple problems

My 94 Saturn took sea water over the floorboards but not up to engine. about 5 inches on rear carpet and 2 inches over front floor carpet. cleaned out within an hour with multiple fresh water soaks and drains (Hand dumping with a cup(thought I was on a sailboat with a leak)) Also rinsed engine compartment and undercarriage a few times. Now the speedo doesn't work It did once after the first day but it is out again now. The odometer hasn't worked in a year I know about the gear just havn't fixed it. The check engine light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving and stays on after that. The door open take out your keys chime stays on all the time the ignition switch is turned off- checked door switch and it is good and even cut the wire to the switch and the chime still sounds. Can I just leave the 5 amp fuse to the chime out forever? it seems to control the memory of the radio so I would like to fix this and be able to leave the fuse in.

please let me hear any comments you may have on what to do to fix these minor problems. I am going to keep it so if you tell me to sell it give me an offer (;- )

Reply to
metoo

My 94 Saturn took sea water over the floorboards but not up to engine. about 5 inches on rear carpet and 2 inches over front floor carpet. cleaned out within an hour with multiple fresh water soaks and drains (Hand dumping with a cup(thought I was on a sailboat with a leak)) Also rinsed engine compartment and undercarriage a few times. Now the speedo doesn't work It did once after the first day but it is out again now. The odometer hasn't worked in a year I know about the gear just haven't fixed it. The check engine light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving and stays on after that. The door open take out your keys chime stays on all the time the ignition switch is turned off- checked door switch and it is good and even cut the wire to the switch and shorted them out and the chime still sounds. Can I just leave the 5 amp fuse to the chime out forever? it seems to control the memory of the radio so I would like to fix this and be able to leave the fuse in.

please let me hear any comments you may have on what to do to fix these minor problems. I am going to keep it so if you tell me to sell it give me an offer (;- )

Reply to
metoo

My 94 Saturn took sea water over the floorboards but not up to engine. about 5 inches on rear carpet and 2 inches over front floor carpet. cleaned out within an hour with multiple fresh water soaks and drains (Hand dumping with a cup(thought I was on a sailboat with a leak)) Also rinsed engine compartment and undercarriage a few times. Now the speedo doesn't work It did once after the first day but it is out again now. The odometer hasn't worked in a year I know about the gear just haven't fixed it. The check engine light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving and stays on after that. The door open take out your keys chime stays on all the time the ignition switch is turned off- checked door switch and it is good and even cut the wire to the switch and shorted and opened them but the chime still sounds. Can I just leave the 5 amp fuse to the chime out forever? it seems to control the memory of the radio so I would like to fix this and be able to leave the fuse in. The auto seatbelts don't even try to fasten.

please let me hear any comments you may have on what to do to fix these minor problems. I am going to keep it so if you tell me to sell it give me an offer (;- )

Reply to
metoo

First, I would check out that SES code and find out what it is. Second, did the PCM get wet? Just some starter points, perhaps a pro here can suggest more.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Reply to
metoo

REMOVE carpets (not as hard as it sounds but be carefull not to break the plastic holding the attachment clips. Use a long thin pry bar or similar) and wash with detergent and a thorough rinse with a hose, dry before reinstal.

Pressure wash thoroughly all underside of car and frame, especially the flexible exhaust section and the radiator. I would remove the wheels (good time for a tire rotation) and wash and inspect the brakes. This will be a good time to change the shoes or pads if required. I would remove the front calipers and treat the slider bolts with a good layer of "neverseize" (high temp thread lube). I would dissasemble the rear brakes and neverseize the automatic adjuster threads. I would try to figure out a way to clean and lube the park brake cables. The wheel bearings are sealed. Check the driveshaft boots, if there is any grease leaking out then you can be sure salt water leaked IN. Use neverseize on the THREADS of the the wheel studs. do not overlube or get grease on the cones of the wheel or nuts.

I think the speedo is electric ???, the sending unit may be damaged or wet but I do not know where it is located, check your manual

These are all indicative of wet elecrics and will probably cause you grief for some time. ANY wiring and especially switches that were wet with salt water is going to cause continued grief due to corrosion. Change the transmission oil (and filter if autotrans)

IMHO they are not minor, but are indicators of problems to come.

I am going to keep it so if you tell me to sell

Good luck

Reply to
Private

Thank you this is the info I needed. Seems like a great checklist for me.

Mike Guer>

Reply to
metoo