95 SW2 oil leak

We're loosing oil, seems to be the rear oil seal. It's a 5 speed,, how hard would it be to change? Right now it's eating a quart every 400 miles.

Reply to
Joe Dickinson

You'll basically have to pull the engine, or lower the subframe(cradle) enough to move the transmission into the wheelwell area far enough out of the way. Be careful though, I once had a leaking main oil galley plug and ended up with a hurt crank thrust bearing. I think what happened was it was bleeding off pressure and each start was basically a 'dry' start. Not sure if the same would happen with the rear main but be careful.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Reply to
Woobie

In an S-Series Saturn without probs, it's 1 US quart (or less) in 2000 miles...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos