Any suggestions?

I took the front wheel bearing housing assembly down to Saturn yesterday morning and had them put in a new bearing......At least, I hope they installed a new one at a cost of $92 for bearing and labor. I don't think I'll be going back there any time soon if Ican help it. I should have asked for the old bearing back, but did not think about it at the time. The reason I thought it was a wheel bearing is that I had the right front jacked up with the wheel, rotor and caliper removed. There was nothing below the strut but the bearing housing in place; the engine running in low gear and the axle turning, the sound was coming from the housing or at least it sounded like it. Now, it could be that the two piece housing has something that has an interference between the inner and outer. When I run into something like this, I think the next plan of attack will be to take longer and longer trips to see if something fails or goes away. Those kinds of sounds are not nice to hear and don't give you a warm cozy feeling; just like going to the Saturn deale herer. I don't think the cv joint would make that kind of sound, but could be wrong. Anyone have an ideas on where the noise is coming from. TIA, MR

Reply to
MR

What kind of noise do you hear? I just had a knocking noise fixed on my car, could only hear it at low speeds, turned out to be the struts.

Reply to
Skid

Not a knocking sound; more of a screeching like a pad dragging at low speed and a whistle at high speeds. Not the pads or brakes making the noise though, since I had them off with the wheel turning and the noise was still there. MR

Reply to
MR