98 SC2 overheat problem-help

I have 98 SC2 with 117K miles. Recently I have been experiencing overheat problems and am looking for some advice on the best way to check out the system. should I check the sensor first or the radiator cap? or the fan motor? Today when I ran it for about 10 miles around town it quickly got over 3/4 approaching red, and when I opened up the hood and the fan wasn't on. I would think it would be on at 3/4 or even 1/2. never had an overheat, this cars always, always runs on the dot of 1/4 for the life of the car. Coolant was changed last at 90K. In the 98 is the fan tied to the A/C? I don't think so but don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
JMan74

Start car, turn on A/C.

If the radiator fan doesn't turn on, suspect the radiator fan motor.

They're sealed motors, but they have brushes in them. Those brushes wear out. When they do, you get the symptoms that you describe.

Given the 117K miles, your radiator fan is probably worn out. It's a pretty easy job to replace it.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Kirk,

Thanks. That's where I will start tomorrow. Kragen's stock them. should be a quick fix look at the manual. Any pointers from anyone that has changed it already? Things to look out for? Looks simple enough though.

Reply to
JMan74

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

First you should check to see if 12volts are present at the fan motor to properly diagnose the problem. Anyone can throw parts at a problem, especially when it isn't your money.

Before starting the car, unplug the fan motor. Have a mult-meter or 12v test light ready. Start car and turn on A/C. Check for voltage at harness plug. If present, plug fan back in. If fan does not run, then replace motor.

If no voltage present at either wire, then you need to diagnose a bit deeper.

James

Reply to
James1549

James,

thanks. I didn't think about testing the connector first for voltage. Duh.

I'll do that first.

Jason

Reply to
JMan74

Even if it does run, you might need to replace the fan motor. At the end of the brush life, the motors become intermittent - they can start working if they're bumped or jiggled.

But, it's a good idea to confirm that you're getting 12 volts to the connector.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen