Air Conditioning Fan Failure

The A/C fan in my 94 SL2 has an intermittant failure that I'd like to repair mysel if possible. The fan will come on and then after 2-5 minutes the fan speed drops until the fan eventually stops all together. I believe that the fan switch is OK because I have pulled the connector off the back and jumped one of the fan wires and had the same results. I guess that this leaves the fan itself, or the multi-speed fan control electronics.

Anyone have experience with this type of repair? I hate to take it to the dealer when the cost would be a high percentage of the total value of the 10 year old car.

Reply to
Tom

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the motor is worn out.

The brushes in the motor wear out. When they're at their end, they make intermittent contact with the commutator which will make the motor run intermittently and slowly.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Check the fan if it spins freely (bad bearing) Possible worn out brushes inside the fan. (SOL on this since brushes are not easily exchangeable)

See if you can power the fan directly from battery without the variable speed module just to verify that the fan motor is working properly. If it does then check out the module and related temperature sensor.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

My 93 had the same problem. Bought a new fan for $30.00 from auto parts store. Three screws and 10 minutes later all was well.

Reply to
jmb6420