CD player problems

Just added a factory CD to my 94 SL2. CD inserts and spins up okay, but after 10 seconds the display says 'err' and the CD is ejected. It seems to be a known problem as some vendors offer a fix (~175.00), but I can't find any specifics. Can someone shed some light on this?

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Is it a store bought music cd or one you've burned on the home computer?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I've tried a couple different store bought CDs, all brand new in the last couple weeks. Mike

J> Is it a store bought music cd or one you've burned on the home computer? >

Reply to
Mike

...hmmm - I have no idea (other than to replace), sorry.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

This is OEM equipment you're trying to install? Is it new or used? Have you tried taking it apart and examining the laser head for scratches or dust? Not sure how difficult this would be. The only thing I might consider using to clean the head if it is dirty is an SLR lens cleaner cloth, or maybe if you're careful 'compressed air from a can' that is usually used for cleaning electronics. Anything else is liable to scratch it, and any sort of solvent may leave a film.

I know this will sound odd, but try some of your older CDs (more than a year old) if you have any. Also, trying burning an audio CD if you can

- make sure the session is closed ("no more data can be written to this disc") and the media is a CD-R disc (not a CD-RW).

The record labels have been screwing around with CDs in a major way latley, adding data tracks and other nonsense which have programs that automatically install copy protection software onto your harddrive, ie:

Wouldn't seem that should affect your _car_ CD player, but some CD players simply can't handle mixed-mode (data and audio tracks) or crippled (copy protected) CDs. They shouldn't have to, either.

The record labels don't give a rip about whether or not it works in your car. You've already bought and opened the CD and in most cases, can't return it.

Let me emphasize something the articles say: if it turns out that the CD player works just fine (ie, you burned a CD and it plays without a problem or plays old CDs) - it is /not/ the CD player's fault. There are no new "standards" or "upgrades" or "patches" that your CD player requires*. The record companies, however, want to blame you and suggest otherwise.

Bastards.

-rj

98SL2

  • Some "newer" CD players know how to tolerate mixed-mode and crippled CDs - but they have been specifically designed to do so outside the standards of the audio-cd format.

J> ...hmmm - I have no idea (other than to replace), sorry.

Reply to
richard hornsby

Yeah, it's OEM. I thought I would try and use the 'correct' equipment and it's backfired.

I cleaned the lens with 100% isopropyl alcohol, per a CD site. No difference. I also tried an older CD (original 'Centerfield', 1984) with no luck. As someone on another site said: "it's broke". Thanks for the help, though, and I will keep in mind the CD format problems.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mike

The record companies are too funny - a $15 CD just can't compete with a $15 or $20 DVD, besides for an old fart like me pop music is not on the top of my list to purchase. I do like finding odd or old (or both) CD's and or just DL'ing a track or two from iTunes, Musicmatch, etc.

Bastards - short and to the point, I like that! (grin)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Philips is going after record companies that use some of the copy protection schemes (which don't even work anyway), because they do things that make the CD a non 'red book' CD. I.e. it no longer follows the defined standard for CD-DA. Because of this, Philips is preventing the companies from using the 'Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo on said discs. Thus, one potential way to find such nonstandard CDs should be to look for the absence of the CD logo. Of course, I'm sure the record cos will sue and things will get messy..

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski