Daughter needs to ID a part

Gave my 97 SL2 manual to my daughter. Shifter stopped working. She and her BF think they have isolated the problem, but need to know what to call the part so she can call parts houses/dealers.

Here is her description: a nickel-sized black plastic cap that holds the hook on the knob at the bottom of the shifter.

Does anybody know what this is called? Is it a dealer-only items?

Thanks in advance, JimR

Reply to
JimR

Are you talking about the shifter bushing?.. When that breaks, you can get a repair kit from NAPA part number BK-6201411. This is $20, far less cheaper than the saturn solution (shift cables).

Reply to
NoBody

The part you're looking for is a "Shifter Bushing" It's a very common problem on the S series.

Don't bother going to a dealer parts department, as they will only supply the cable assembly.

Dorman makes a replacement bushing. Check it out here:

This guy sells a similar replacement on eBay. ( IMHO, the eBay one is a better design)

Good luck

Words

Reply to
Wordsworth

Thanks to Wordsworth and NoBody for the quick responses.

JimR

Reply to
JimR