DIY Alarm systems

Kinda OT, but do you guys have any of the inexpensive do it yourself store bought, two-wire alarms, like Bulldog, Audiovox or First Alert?

I have bought 2 bulldog 2030's in the last 2 weeks and they were broken right out of the box. Just wondering about other's experiences or recommendations? Thanks.

Reply to
marx404

You can take a look at a miniture paging alarm system. I bought one and installed it........works fine. Check several out here.

The one I bought is down near thebottom of the page on the right hand side for $49.MR

Reply to
MR

Before continuing, ask yourself an important question. How much will you need to spend to feel comfortable that your car is adequately protected? How long will that alarm need to protect the car and it's contents? For me, a $100 alarm (or less) wouldn't do it. When I shopped for mine, I planned on $200 minimum for the alarm only (no install labor included or fancy accessories). If you buy one that you can install yourself, just remember - the easier an alarm is for you to install, the easier it is for someone to defeat and remove it.

Also, an alarm is only as good as the guy who installs and adjusts it. It took me two weeks to install mine (mainly because it wasn't meant for do-it-yourselfers) - taking off the factory wire loom and running the alarm wiring thru it took time. But, not one wire or the siren are visible and if you ask me, that makes it much more secure. Since this is not something most people have the patience for, I've always referred friends to stop in at a local audio shop or store specializing in security. If you buy more than a simplistic alarm, professional installation may cost as much or more than the alarm itself. But in my opinion, their experience and knowledge are worth it when it comes to protecting my car.

I've had an Alpine alarm on my 94 SC2 for about 9 years now, and it has done its job it well. These have just been my thoughts and opinions. YMMV.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

visible and if

something

knowledge

Bottom line here is if you are savvy in such car alarm installs then no matter what price the set costs you cannot afford to be with out it. I have had a high end car alarm on every vehicle we own, professionally installed (Cost $100 extra) the cost of the alarms range for us around $400 total. Took the shop 4 hours to install and calibrate. But it has the fuel kill feature, the locator option, multiple triggers, the only thing we did not buy for the additional $25 was the automatic car starter. (But we now wish we did every morning the weather changes in the northeast) ha ha

And let me tell you my co-workers and friends laugh their heads off over it. They say on a Saturn? Or a Chevy, or on an Isuzu? Then we live in an area not high in car thefts or break-ins. But like I tell them "why take any chances" and I do travel to more places than just work and home.

I have to agree get the best you can afford, oh there is also that

10-20% off your insurance rates for having such a device on your vehicle. Could sway some of the higher payers out there to get one.

Elector

Reply to
Elector

You are correct Lane. I should have put more info on the self/pro installation. I somestimes forget that everyone on this forum does not have the skill or patients to do a self install, although the org. posts was for a DIY. It did take me some time to do it with the help of some online wiring diagrams, but was not especially difficult. I also did not choose to integrate it with the factory car alarm, so it is a separate stand alone system. I should have also mentioned that a paging alarm is for those who can confront a thief while in the act of stealing which I am prepared to do to prevent more damage. This budget alarm does give off a slight ringing similar to a phone if triggered, but just barely audible outside the vehicle. That may or may not deter a thief. I did not want one that sets off a siren or horn since that seems to get little attention in parking lots, especially large parking lots and that is what the factory alarm does.

A little story of the only time the pager has trigger when not testing: My wife and I were on vacation about 1500 miles away from home doing some shopping in a food store about 10pm one night in a strip mall. I usually park away from most vehicles to avoid scratches etc. and under a light pole if possible. We were about ready to check out of the store when the pager went off. I rushed out of the store and to the upper end of the lot to see what was happening. I got within 50 or so yards of the car and found out that a family (Ma & Pa Kettle) had come to town in a pickup and had parked next to me and Ma was leaning(large woman) up against the car. We got a chuckle out of that one. No matter where you park, there will be someone next to you shortly. MR

Reply to
MR

point made, but: (not to burst your bubble) I am from Miami (originally) and let me tell you that it does not matter what kind or how expensive your alarm system is down here. I have seen then break into and drive away BMWs with the siren a screeching, it means nothing nowadays, not even to cops.

The main appeal IMHO is a audible deterrent. That warns away most would-be thieves and crack-heads who are looking to raid the contents of your vehicle for quick-fix sale. If they hear an alarm, they simply won't bother. And even the cheapest alarms, if they work properly will sound off, scaring away ameatuers.

As for professionals, sorry to say, you will never be safe in a major metro city ex: Miami. If they want your car, it is thiers, no alarm, or the best alarm, it is thiers. period.

So again, IMHO, a cheap alarm that functions as it should is much better than no alarm at all. (ergo, my reasoning for the topic) Thanks marx404

Reply to
marx404