Engine Shut down - 1996 Saturn

While driving the engine of my 1996 Saturn does shuts down, with no advanced signs. The car will immediately restart when the starter in engaged. Someone checked the computer but there were no fault codes stored. Any ideas??

Thanks

Reply to
ghp

No answer here, just more questions:

Which model? Auto or Manual? How many miles? Does the engine sputter or cough before shutting down? Or does it act more like what you'd expect if you turned the key to the 'off' position? Does this happen at all speeds, ie on the highway? While cruising, accelerating, coming to a stop, or idling? Do you notice a difference if it happens more often if the engine is cold or hot? How often does this behavior occur? Once a week? More?

-rj

98SL2

ghp wrote:

Reply to
richard hornsby
96 SL2 4 Door Sedan, Auto, 110,000 miles

It acts as you would expect when you turn the key off, no sputter or cough. Fast or slow, hot or cold it doesn't make any difference. It's happened 2 times in the last week.

Reply to
ghp

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess:

  • Crank position sensor
  • Ignition module

Both can do interesting things when they get flakey. But it sounds ignition related to me...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Thanks - it didn't shut down this morning but while driving the brake, temp, and washer idiot lights started to blink. Do you think that's related to the car shutting down?

Reply to
ghp

Loose ground wire between the battery and frame? (Or fuseblock, then to frame?) On a Saturn isn't there another ground wire between frame and engine? (Or am I mixing it up with my other car?)

Once you have multiple things blinking away at the same time, it's good to start tightening and cleaning all those ground connections.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa