Gasoline Additives Yes/No?

How do you feel about putting a gas additive like STP in your Saturn? Will it do any good, and will it help increase your gas mileage? I have a pretty new L300, and I was wondering if I should use it, or not. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Reply to
WGRG3

Not recommended or necessary until needed. Check out your owner's manual, there's a paragraph covering that. if you do use anything, I highly recommend STP fuel injector cleaner, it's the black bottle. But for a new car, you shouldnt need it at all.

As the car gets older and the fuel injection system gets dirty, then that's when you will want to use STP to clean your system. Using any additive on as a regular routine is unnessary and may be harmful if you use the wrong thing. I wouldnt recommend anything else, other additives may foul up your system.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I agree with marx404 on a new car not needed. But If I was to suggest an injector cleaner. I would stay away from anything with an acohol in it. There is a cleaner and lubricator for your upper cylinders made by lucas oil. I have used it and had very good results. It doesn't have any acohol in it to damage any rubber in it. Also you can use this about every 15k miles with no problem but if have problems with acceleration or driveability you could have a bad thottle position sensor or map sensor if you have an older saturn. The best bet when cleaning the fuel injectors is having a shop do it where they can use a tool to actually hook into the fuel rail and inject a cleaner.

Also on a side note. If you think your injectors are bad or clogged take a piece of rubber hose long enought to reach from the injector to your ear and listen if it isn't clicking and making noise it is clogged. when they are working they will make a constant clicking sound which indicates the computer is signaling them to work.

Tim

Reply to
Tim G

All unleaded gasoline sold in the US includes an effective level of fuel injection cleaner. You are most likely wasting you money if you regularly add STP to your fuel. I do believe that Chevron Techron can clean up some injector deposits and intake valve deposits, but you shouldn't use it as a regular additive.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Lucas Oil additives are awesome, but I have been strictly warned by many a Saturn mechanic DO NOT Use it on a Saturn as it can damage your engine. Somethng to do with the lost foam casting? is what they told me.

Again, if it aint broke, dont fix it. A new engine does not need any special oil or gas additives, especially the ecotec.

marx404

Reply to
marx404