climate fan noise when a/c kicks in - normal?

When the a/c is on in my 2003 Legacy Wagon, a compressor kicks in every 30 seconds or so and runs for about 10-15 seconds. If my climate fan is on within the car, a loud whirring noise starts while this compressor is on and the noise builds with increasing engine revs (i.e., if I give the car gas). If I turn the climate fan off, no noise. If I turn the a/c off and just run the climate fan, I get only the normal climate fan noise.

This intermittent whirring when both a/c and the fan are on is driving me nuts - does anyone else have this??

Napalm

Somethings not right with your AC compressor or clutch or belt .. it's not your interior fan. If the fan is off the compressor will not run.

Reply to
nItpIk

Hello

I noticed a similar thing today: A whistling noise when the AC is engaged (AC button pressed, fan running), changing with engine RPM. Sounded a little like my old diesel Mercedes' turbo...

After reading your post I went back and tried a few things with the car parked and noticed that the AC compressor does make a high pitched noise when engaged, and it does go on and off.

Unfortunately, don't know the solution...

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore