muffler hung too low - worried about weight

I recently replaced my oem muffler on my 94 SL2 with a Dynomax muffler. I decided to take it to Midas to do the job. They cut off the old muffler and put in the new one with a nice chrome tailpipe. They spot-welded the muffler to the oem strap so that the tailpipe wouldn't touch the plastic bumper and melt it. It looks real nice, but now I notice that the exhaust pipe sits only an inch or so above the crossmember bar. (see pg 10-3 in the Haynes Saturn manual).

I have gone under the car and tried moving the exhaust to see if it will hit any part of the rear suspension but I can't physically make it hit. I am concerned that if I load my car with 5 people that the weight will cause the exhaust pipe to get crushed by the lateral links or any other part of the rear suspension.

Do I have to worry about this? My struts are in good condition and I never hear any knocking back there nor are there any signs of the two bonking into each other. I am still concerned that I should go back to the oem style turn-down tailpipe and raise the muffler back up an inch to prevent this. Should I worry? How much minimum space should I have?

if you want to see it, heres my website:

marx404

Reply to
marx404

muffler. I

muffler and

bonking into

Thanks,

I'm pondering this. I put an OEM header and downpipe on my '96 SL2 and had a 2-1/4" cat and complete exhaust on w/ the same muff you used. No problems with mine so far. I've had all 4 of us in it (at least 750 pounds) and it hasn't hit. I have had a problem with the back inner chamber wall getting a hole in it that I could see looking into the muffler. I had one replaced on warranty and it sounds like this one is going, too.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart