Peanut Butter Time!

(sorry, no jelly)

After cleanup, I noticed that the beautiful Midnight Blue ION.3 I just purchased, the last like it on the lot had some pine tree sap marks on the paint. The shop sent it out to be buffed, but they couldn't get all the residue out of the paint. Bummer.

So today I Googled and found that some ppl swear by Peanut Butter! to remove tree sap. I figured can't lose and I can make a sandwich too. The oil in the peanut butter got out the white sap residue and I was able to clean it up then use Cleaner Wax to polish it all up. I had some very minor pits but unless you really look for it, the damage is almost unnoticeable.

Peanut Butter - it's not just for sandwiches anymore.

Reply to
marx404

Skip

I have used peanut butter for years to take off the gum left by labels. Technically seaking, the oil emulsifies the gum and the solids both keep any un-emulsified gum in suspension while also providing a very gentle abrasive action. The process is to apply a dab of peanut butter and lightly rub it in. Let sit for 15 minutes and rub some more. Wipe off, inspect and repeat as necessary. Generally works very well.

The other goodie is GoJo waterless hand cleaner which is basically mineral spirits and lanolin (aka sheep sweat). Be sure to get the type without pumice! If the peanut butter trick doesn't work, try the GoJo. GoJo works well also on removing grease stains from clothing.

Peanut butter is good for a quick snack - GoJo is not recommended for ingestion... Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

I should have included this link

Oppie

A clay bar made for automotive detailing (costs about $10 from any auto parts store) does a good job at removing tree sap. Heck, it removes almost anything else stuck to your paint too.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

I will be finishing it off with a clay bar. The sap is IN the paint, it has sat so long that it ate into the clear coat. The "professionals" did a nice job of buffing the hood, and then tried to wet sand the sap out but failed. That's when I tried the peanut butter which had 10 x the results.

Reply to
marx404