OT-1st time in Harbor Freight store- thanks Lee A.

I saw Lee Aanderud's post the other day re a 20% off coupon at Harbor Freight. I went to their web site and found that the nearest store is in York, PA (about 85 miles). I have been wanting a big floor jack for some time so I figured $36 off a $170 jack (20% plus the reduced sales tax) would be worth driving that far and the wife has been after me to stop in the numerous antique places along US 30 near York. So, today, coupon in hand, we went. Talk about a kid in a candy store!!. Even my wife got all enthused and was running around the store finding neat gadgets and bringing them to me and asking "do you need this?". She ended up buying a bunch of household items while I got my jack, a 2 1/2-ton long frame floor jack with a foot pedal pump in addition to the handle. The manager carried it out front on a hand cart then had to go back to the register while I rearranged the back of the Bravada (it was too long to stick in crosswise so I had to empty and fold down my accessory "cargo organizer"). I decided to load it myself- ouch my back, that sucker weighs over 125 pounds. I ended up spending over $300, but I got a bunch of brass air hose fittings and stuff like that. They really put on a hard sell for an extended warranty which I resisted. Extended warranty on a jack??? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

their extended warranty is great! they also have a ratcheting loper that is worth it's weight in gold for trimming.

Paul Johns> I saw Lee Aanderud's post the other day re a 20% off coupon at Harbor

Reply to
oldcarfart

Glad you could use it... I kind of took over for Jeff Rice, he's kind of the resident Harbor Freight coupon guru.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I didn't see that one (or I'd probably have it too). I can see an extended warranty on a power tool or something like that, but a jack... My day was better than I even mentioned in the original post. At lunch (at a neat sandwich store/deli called Isaac's in York) I ordered a peanut butter ice cream sundae (peanut butter ice cream, peanut butter syrup, Reeces's Pieces, chocolate sauce and whipped cream). The waitress came back and told me that they were out of peanut butter ice cream, but she could make it with vanilla if that was ok. I okayed it. When she brought me my sundae she said they were out of all the ingredients so she was giving me a hot fudge sundae on the house. Then, most of the antique stores I had agreed to stop at were closed and after a couple stops in the 95-degree heat she decided she was tired. And, gas around home was $2.999 for 87 octane. In York it was $2.799, but I didn't need enough to make it worth while filling. Once we left York it was $2.899 everywhere except a 7-11 where it was $2.859. I tried to fill there, but the pump wouldn't work. So, I tried another unoccupied pump- out of order. So, I said "screw it" and headed on home. In Waynesboro, PA I got Exxon for $2.799. Life was good today (doesn't take much to make me happy). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
itraseecab

Paul, If you use the jack in a "commercial" application, believe me, it will MORE than pay for itself...BTDT.(been there, done that) Dan

Reply to
RoadRaceLark

I'm thinking I'll use it maybe four times a year. If I had extensive use in mind I sure would have gone for the extended. 20 years ago I bought a pallet jack from them- used it for years in a commercial application with no problems. It was built in China too, but quality was probably better then. For most companies extended warranties are a huge income source. For example, several years ago a manager at Quality Farm and Fleet (now part of Tractor Supply) told me that any extended warranty claims they paid were from investment earnings on the warranty account. They never touch the principal. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
itraseecab

But the place still smells like a cheap chinese hooker cover with oil.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Interesting... I have one of their (HF) smaller aluminum 'racing' style jacks. Have had it for two years and 'retired' the pos Tractor Supply Chinese steel floor jack. The HF jack works like a champ, and the TS jack sucks. Go figure, huh? Jeff

Harbor Freight's big jacks are great, but we had trouble with the

Reply to
Jeff Rice
.

For electronic items, that is definitely the case! They go by what they call the 'bathtub curve' when it comes to incidence of repair. The manufacturer's warranty covers 0-1 year (when its most likely to break down), and the extended warranty goes from 1-5 or more years after when the compnonents within have proved themselves satisfactory. I heard they only have to pay out 15 cents on the dollar on extended warranties.

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

Talk about a kid in a candy store!!. Even my wife got all

That sounds like Princess Auto stores we have here. Lots of neat stuff!

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

It humors me that you know what a cheap oiled up Chinese hooker smells like .. It really does... Jeff (Now I only associate with expensive oiled up Chinese hookers ) Rice

"Rick Courtier" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Reminds me of a Chinese restaurant/buffet we had here in Columbia. It was in a strip mall right next to a nudie bar. Most of the girls working in the restaurant were a little "overly developed"... most probably hadn't seen their feet in years. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where they worked in the evening. Busiest Chinese restaurant I've ever been in.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
itraseecab

________________________ Finally, a real use for my new cell phone: I can call from under the car to file my extended warranty claim.

Reply to
comatus

Let's hope it's not because the jack broke while you were under it!

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam