Question about torque

Hi:

I just replaced the front pads and rotars on my Saturn '98 SL, with a great deal of assistance from folks on this list. I just had a question about the bolts. On each side there were two pairs, one 14mm and one

18mm. The 18mm bolts seemed to have some old locktite on the threads, but pursuant to some recommendations from this list I replaced the locktite (after cleaning with brake cleaner) with some nevr sieze material, and torqued them to 80 ft/lbs. The 14mm bolts were torqued to 40 ft/lbs, but I didn't do anything to the threads. I didn't clean them, but tried to keep off any dust or grit, and just put them back in the way they were. We couldn't find any torque specs, so just figured that was a good first approximation. We're sure we haven't over-torqued anything, but have we undertorqued? Anyone know the specs for the front disk bolt assembly? Is nevr sieze OK instead of Locktite? (I know they have different functions, but figured the nevr sieze would allow more efficient tightening making the locktite unnecessary.

-Osgood

Reply to
Osgood Z'beard

No mention of thread locker is used in brake pad replacement.

ABS Control Assembly Brackets Bolts

12 lb ft

ABS Control Assembly-to-Midrail Bracket Bolt

9 lb ft

Battery Retainer Nut Screw

80 lb in

Bleeder Screws - Front

8 lb ft

Bleeder Screws - Rear

66 lb in

Booster-to-Body Nuts

20 lb ft

Brake Caliper Lock Pin

27 lb ft

Brake Caliper-to-Steering Knuckle

81 lb ft

Brake Hose-to-Brake Caliper

36 lb ft

Brake Hose-to-Brake Pipe

11 lb ft

Brake Hose-to-Wheel Cylinder

36 lb ft

Brake Pedal Pivot Bolt

16 lb ft

Brake Pipe-to-ABS Assembly

24 lb ft

Control Module-to-Valve Assembly Screws

35-53 lb in

Front Brake Bleeder Valve

8 lb ft

Front Console Screw

22 lb in

Lock/Guide Pin-to-Brake Caliper

27 lb ft

Master Cylinder-to-Brake Booster Nut

20 lb ft

Negative Battery Cable

13 lb ft

Park Brake Lever Assembly-to-Floor

18 lb ft

Park Brake Lever Assembly-to-Floor

35 lb in

PCM Attachment Bolts

53 lb in

Positive Battery Cable

13 lb ft

Rear Brake Bleeder Valve

66 lb in

Rear Console Screw

22 lb in

Rear Wheel Hub Assembly

63 lb ft

Stop Lamp Switch Mounting Nut

89 lb in

Trailing Arm/Park Brake Cable-to-Body

89 lb ft

Wheel Cylinder-to-Backing Plate

89 lb in

Wheel Nut

103 lb ft

Wheel Speed Sensor

89 lb in
Reply to
blah blah

Actually, take them back out and put LOCTITE back on them. There is a TSB out about bolts wiggling themselves out and calipers possibly falling off the knuckle. And that was at their torque setting.... It was VERY RARE, but did happen. The loctite holds the bolts in tightly a lot better. I HIGHLY recommend putting it back on there, the neverseize may actually cause bad news quicker..... Hope I could help you.

Reply to
TheLastDonSC2