Leaking radiator

The light that says my coolant is low has been blinking on and off for the last few days. Its a 94 sc2. I see the reservoir is halfway down and the bottom area of the radiator is wet in the middle. I wonder if there is a hole in it? That's the only wet area I see.

Fred

Reply to
Fred V.

A steady blinking pattern indicates that there's a temperature problem with the transmission. This can sometimes be caused by the coolant temperature sensor going bad, leading the PCM to think the transmission is much hotter than the engine. -Rick

Reply to
Rick Murphy

I have a 94SL2 (at least for the next few days, anyway). On mine, that light will go on and off as soon as the water level in the reservoir gets about 1/4 of the way down. So if by "blinking" you mean on for a while then go off, (in particular, it'll go on when you corner hard or accelerate hard, then go off as you level out or slow down) then it's not the tranny. I think the other poster meant a steady blinking warning light type behavior indicates tranny issues. Just adding water will take care of it, but if you actually see the radiator is wet in the middle and your losing water, it's seems to me a no brainer to me. How many miles on it? Mine had about 110K when the radiator went bad. Got an after market (as a Saturn original was way crazy $$) and haven't had any problems with it (has 176K now)

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Thanks for the advise guys. Yes its not the tranny with this problem. I refilled the container and its ok for now. Looks like a small radiator leak has started. Scott, there's about 130K on it now, so it looks like I'm due for a radiator. Looks like another trip to Autozone ....

Fred

94SC2
Reply to
Fred V.

Changed the radiator today. New one from AutoZone. Made in China and a lifetime warrantee! Took most of my Saturday though. 136K on the old one, and they didn't want the old core.

Fred

Reply to
Fred V.