Setting Engine Timing Saturn L-Series

I have a 2001 Saturn L-series with a 2.2 L DOHC aluminum engne. The camshaft siezed and I am forced to replace the entire cylinder head. I cannot find any information on the engine timing. Can anyone help me with this?

Reply to
Michael Johnston

I have the service manual. If you would like, I can either scan a few pages or photocopy. You can order your own manual either from Saturn parts or

Either way, it runs about $140 usd for the print copy (5 binders and 25 pounds) and $300 on CR rom (from helm only). For that matter, I have the 6-cyl engine and don't need the manual for the

2000-2001 4-banger. make me an offer? I'm near NY city. oppie (at) cloud9 dot net
Reply to
Oppie

There is no engine timing adjustment on this engine.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I thought the OP was referring to the timing belt? Still, I would never attempt changing a major engine component without a shop manual. Even with a manual there are so many places to go horribly wrong. Oppie ('01 lw300)

Reply to
Oppie

There is a procedure for lining everything up. The cam sprocket and crank sprocket should have markings for being lined up. There may be special tools involved. I dont have anything that covers Ecotecs though. One still needs a service manual and a good torque wrench reguardless which scares me if someone is asking about this. Sounds to me that the engine originally starved for oil.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Probably was starved for oil. My bad. However, having the wrong oil filter in the car for two minutes until I decided that the car was not going to start pumping oil should not cause major engine problems. Yes I should have realized that the oil filter was wrong even though the one I purchased was for my make and model according to Auto Zone. Yes I should have the engine manual but like everthing else about Saturn it was a rip off. I thought somebody out there could give me the procedure for lining up the timing chain. As it turned out it wasn't that hard. I didn't need to spend another $140 for the engine manual, I didn't need to pay this guy oppie for some scanned pages and I certainly didn't need to be told that a DIS ignition doesn't need to be set.

Farewell

Reply to
Michael Johnston

Uh, Excuse me please but I was offering to scan a few pages for you for free. Sorry if I didn't communicate that effectively. What I was offering for sale was the 2000 or 2001 shop manual for the 4 cylinder engine only. As I wrote, I have the V6 and have no need of the other manual. The service manual comes in 5 binders with two model years per binder. One binder was for the 4-banger, another for V6 (L81) and others for chassis... In any event glad that things seem to have worked out OK. Please don't say 'farewell', Anybody that can change a cylinder head surely has something to contribute to the group that can help others. It is mostly a good give and take here.

Regards, Oppie (2001 lw300)

Reply to
Oppie

You don't think running an engine without oil for 2 minutes won't cause major engine problems? Think again....

You should have made your question more clear. Oppie as well as Mr. Hancock are well respected, knowledgable posters here. In your original post it was ambigous as to whether you were in fact looking to set ignition timing or camshaft timing. We all know that you don't set ignition timing on these engines, but some people may not know - especially someone who put the wrong oil filter on his engine and seized the cam. That is why Robert posted the way he did.

In all, I wouldn't get all pissed off and leave. These guys were trying to help you.

Reply to
Jamie