SL first trans fluid change filter question

My used 2001 saturn sl1 is about 300 miles from the first transaxle fluid change so I stopped at my local CarQuest for the filter I will need. 12.37, that seems a bit high. Is there something special about it or do I need to find another place the next time?

Any comments about the best fluid to put in? I think I need a dextron III.

Thanks,

Wes

One payment down and 59 to go.

Reply to
clutch

It's a special high-pressure filter -- handles about 10x the pressure of a regular oil filter.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

As stated in the previous post, the filter is designed to handle a higher pressure. The extra cost is well worth it, it beats pulling down a trans pan and making a mess.

Actually the transmission is easier to service than changing the engine oil on my '92.

Also, when you drain out the fluid, pour it into a graduated bucket that has the quart marks on it. That way you have a really good idea of how much to refill with.

James

Reply to
James1549

Cool. Just didn't want to find out at a later date that this was just a plain old oil filter with a higher price.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

In addition to being a high pressure filter, it also has a "disposable" magnet inside to capture small metal filings.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman