SL1 Wiper Control

So this morning, my wipers decided to act up, intermittent setting 3 and 2 work fine, low speed wipes once, mist wipes once, high speed works fine, washer doesn't work at all.

Where should a begin looking??

SHaughn

Reply to
Shaughn & Leslie

Might want to give year and model so if someone can relate better, he/she can help you faster.

hth,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Sorry ment year and mileage.

Tom

Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

whoops!

94, 258,000km
Reply to
Shaughn & Leslie

I looked at the schematics for the wiper system of a 1998 (dont have anything prior to 98) a good long time and still dont completely understand it (most confusing schematic I've studied). This is the best I can come up with.

Power goes from the battery to the wiper motor unit

Into a microprocessor

Then a signal current passes from the microprocessor and then gets sent to the wiper switch

The wiper switch then grounds this current.

The wiper switch contains resistors which change the amount of current flow.

Depending on how much current gets grounded tells the Microprocessor at the wiper motor what relays to switch on. (the relays are in the wiper motor unit and change the speed)

Looking hard at the schematic I think your problem lies with the microprocessor. It is part of the wiper motor unit and will need to be replaced as a unit as I do not think these are servicable. This is my best guess and its not uncommon for these units to fail. If you want I can probably post the very confusing schematic.

Reply to
blah blah

yeah, well funny thing, it started working again this morning. Just like the one time my instrument cluster went dead, a smack on the dash and it's been good for 4 years now. Just having a bad day I guesss

Reply to
Shaughn & Leslie

Reply to
blah blah

Good point, maybe this is a contact corrosion issue.

If so, maybe a letter to saturn can help them up their quality control, and find out if other drivers experienced this problem.

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Reply to