95 legacy sedan wiper problem

I hope someone here can enlighten me!

On Saturday I drove for 7+ hours in bad weather and was using my wipers quite a bit but alternated between off, intermittent, low, and high as one typically has to do in New England :) On Sunday, I started the car and put the wiper stick in the 'intermittent' position (not variably intermittent) and got nothing. Low, nothing. However, the wipers work on the High setting, and they work in the manual setting - pulling the stick towards me (and holding it there) allows the wipers to work. If I turn off the high setting, the wipers do not return to the zero position - I have to hold the stick towards me and try to let go when they reach the bottom. Used to be that I could just pull quickly towards me and release and the wipers would go up once then down. Same deal with the sprayer - it still sprays just fine but will not wipe.

I have an appointment to have the car checked in a few days but I was trying to find an answer to my problem in the meantime. Any insights?

Cheers, Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca Wagaman

Sounds like the switch to me

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

As an update, I took my car in to be looked at today. Of course, after 6 days of not working, my wipers were working properly again just as I was going in. They still looked at it (no charge!) but didn't find a problem.

Any further advice/ideas are welcome! I hope this was just a glitch...

Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca Wagaman

Reply to
Robert L Wilson

This sounds about right to me. One other thing I noticed is that when the wipers weren't working properly I heard just a bit of a faint clicking sound that I didn't hear before and don't hear now. If it happens again, I'll have them look at the switch.

Now I just have to deal with a new problem today; apparently my alternator is dead. :( Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca Wagaman