Speedometer inaccurate

I have a 97 SC2 that has worked well since I bought it (new). Last week I called the dealer and asked for a quote for some new shocks (ok, struts) and they said they were pretty busy with a lot of training before the end of the year, so it might be better to wait. Also, the price quote was just over $1000 for all 4. That seemed like a lot to me, so I got an appointment at Midas for new shocks. The Price was about $700 for all 4, so I said OK.

Well, I drive the car home and it seems that they didn't even TRY to do a front-end alignment, or even try to sell me one. I can hardly believe that they would let the car on the road with that bad of an alignment. This morning, there was freezing rain and the roads were VERY slippery. It was a miracle that I didn't kill myself. 8-)

Anyway, since the new shocks were installed, I noticed that the speedometer seemed to be a little inaccurate. It seemed to report that I was going faster than I actually WAS. Also, the linearity seemed to be affected. I mean, I would come to a stop, and the needle would still be falling... until it hit 5mph, then it would drop to 0 normally.

I figure this could be the result of a bad PCM, but if that is the only thing wrong with it, I'm certainly NOT going to try to replace it. And if I understand the operation of the Vehicle Speed Sensor, I find it hard to believe that a normal failure of the VSS would cause the dial to report a *FASTER* speed than I was going.

Could the VSS have been screwed around with by the tech at Midas? What in the world would they need to play with it for ANYWAY?

Remove the BALONEY from my email address.

----------------------------------------------------- Matthew Fries Minneapolis, MN USA snipped-for-privacy@baloneyvisi.com

"Quit eating all my *STUFF*!" - The Tick

Reply to
Matthew Fries